Thursday, March 26, 2015

Make a Wish!


A few words about yesterday's comments.  First of all, I LOVE police men.  I love ANYTHING in uniform. Ask my girlfriends (wink).  But seriously?  Think what this world would be like without our police forces - well, think of what it would be like in THIS country without groups policing the bad men and women out there.  CHAOS, and we all would be goners.  I have such great respect for our men and women in blue.   They have helped me out more than a few times in my life when I needed help. I have met some great cops/animal lovers in the mornings since I began doing this nearly 15 years ago.  I call 911 for anything suspicious in my own neighborhood, and have done so for over 20 years that I've lived in my home.  And they are always there.  My mother says I have a speed dial number for them.  And they know who I am when I call - that they pick up the phone and with an eye roll, say 'yesssss Janine....'..  :) My dearly departed grandfather, Big Bill McCann (huge cat lover), ran against Sheriff Skinner in the 60s.  He lost, but not without a lot of votes!


Every day, I drive around one of Rochester's worst areas for crime and violence in the wee hours of the morning to feed homeless feral and stray cats.  It is sad that it is like that, but this is where the population of them are and I've made it my mission to help, so I just do it.  This also includes reporting dogs I see chained in the zero degree weather outside with no protection, rescuing those that are wandering, and lost, and also picking up dead cats from the road that have been hit and not bothered to be helped, or moved  to the side of the road.  This also includes helping out the occasional homeless guy, with a blanket, or a sandwich which I went back home to make and brought back to him because he was hungry.  Or talking to a streetwalker (they all know me) about maybe getting a real job at the hospital I work at.  Offering some hope.  That life isn't as hopeless as they think.

The police that work this area put their lives on the line every day and night.  Not many of us would be prepared to do anything like they do every day when they are on duty.  I am not the only one out there at strange hours of the night trying my best to fix a bad situation and we all rely on the police for protection and assistance. 



When I write about the cop that pulled me over that morning, I know he was doing his duty, but after realizing there was no wrongdoing or intention to do wrong, which he did let me go without a ticket or warning, but a smile and/or a kind word would have gone a long way.  That's all I was trying to say about that.  And yes, maybe he was in the height of personal despair, so I should remember that old saying.. "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about..."


I write this blog to speak out about what I do for the animals, to try to educate people about what's out there, right under our noses, and hope for a solution to the ills of our society.  I write about what I see, who I encounter, and what my opinions are about every day stuff.  This country is all about free speech, and I am going to speak!  I try to speak for the animals, because they have no voice.




I love the police, but we have to work together - as citizens.  That is my wish.  So tomorrow, on my day off from my real job, when I pretend to blow out the candles on my pretend birthday cake (yes, it is - 27 on the 27th!  :)) (and no cake for me!), I will wish for harmony and peace for all, homes for all the homeless, safety for our officers, and to be a few pounds lighter at my weigh-in in the morning!  :)



Have a nice day!

"You were born to be real,
not to be perfect.
You're here to be you,
not to be what someone
else wants you to be.
Stand up for yourself,
look them in the eye,
and say 'Don't judge me
until you know me,
don't underestimate me
until you've challenged me,
and don't talk about me
until you've talked to me."


4 comments:

  1. Bravo Janine! Great blog. And I know you meant every word of it. I have been with you before when we have called animal control or the police and they were right there to help. I know you how much you respect them. I also know that a smile and a kind word go a long, long way in your book. Much more so than for most people and that when you don't get that from someone, it bothers you because you go out of your way to smile and have a kind word for everyone you meet. From the prostitutes to the mayor. You are one of a kind Janine. ♥ ♥ -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday tomorrow Janine - enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see your blog again today, I know you write it before you go to work and your day starts at 4 a.m.It must be very tiresome to write it, then to have it stand up to scrutiny after having driven round the city, feeding all those cats, for no pay and, on your own. I hope you have a great birthday Janine, and never stop what you are doing, or writing your blog. Dont ever change, you are perfect, You mean so much, to so many,

    ReplyDelete
  4. To begin with, never buy a cat or feline from a pet store. Not solely do these parasitic associations add to the catlike overpopulation issue, a huge segment of these cats start from kitty plants - money making cat generation lines tormented by disease and manhandle. There are pet supply stores that offer space to thoughtful social requests to hold gathering days, some even have assignment concentrates right in the store. These are the able corporate occupants you should bolster with your business.
    funny gifts for cat lovers

    ReplyDelete