Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Hump Day

Its 26 degrees out this morning, but the air is so crisp, so clean.  I took a big whiff of it while I was out doing the cats, and thought they could never duplicate this smell in an air deodorizer.  Never.  People ask me, do I REALLY go out in the dark every morning, at that time???  Yes, at 4:15 am., its dark, its quiet, and its peaceful.  Its hard to get out of bed, surely, but once out in the fresh air, there's nothing like it.  I could easily see myself living in the wilds of Alaska, going out in my waders (I would be living on a pond or lake) when I get up, getting firewood, but first looking out for a bear or moose that might be lurking.  Yep, I could.

It took me an hour and 15 minutes this morning.  Thats 4.5 minutes on average that I spend getting to the shelter from my car, laying down food and water for the babies, and heading back to the car.  In between that though, sometimes I am holding a cat, and gently petting, and talking to, like Buttons, which I do every morning.  He is next on the list, along with the George look-a-like on Parsells.  Both very sweet kitties - George look-a-like is not neutered, I have to get into the swing of doing that again.

I was also thinking how lucky (?) I was this winter not to come across any pregnant females.  I remember one year, what was it...  SEVEN pregnant females that winter.  As controversial as it is, I am of the firm belief that if the babies are tiny enough, they should be aborted.  That is my belief on animal abortions. There are so many cats out there, both homeless, and in shelters.  The ones in shelters are killed - senselessly - because not enough is being done to spay and neuter the cats on the streets. And then you have your breeders.  Don't get me started on that.



Remember Peanut Butter?  These pics should jar your memory.  I finally rescued him from Baldwin, after a long time of him being on the street, and look at him now, in warm home now, full of love and attention, just for him.  (the date on his mommy's camera is wrong - this pic was just taken recently)



Tyrone - I saw him again yesterday morning - what a pleasant guy he is.  I told him I mentioned him on the blog I wrote - I don't think he has a computer or uses one - and I told him how I found the story I did on the fire at his mother's house two years ago, that killed her, and that I had also taken a picture of the charred house, with the writings on it for "Tootsie", his mom that died.  I choked up telling him this.  He is such a strong, kind person.  He must be in his 30s, maybe 40.  He mentioned how his house is being broken into all the time, on Grand Avenue. He said the police were doing all they can, but....  He wished me a safe and blessed day, and went on his way.

At my first location on Parsells, I had to chase away two opossums.  They were hiding in one of the Styrofoam shelters I have on this porch.  I had to nudge them with the lid of the shelter, otherwise, they wouldn't move.  They kind of freeze in their tracks when they get scared.  As much as I don't want them to eat the cat food, these little guys are hungry too.  Unlike the raccoons!  Those devils!  Right now they are pretty thin, but come summer, they are huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Boy can they eat.

I took pictures of my own babies this morning - aren't they adorable.  All have their own stories too:

Midnight

Vanessa

Brady

Leo

Leo

I wish you all a wonderful day - please spay and neuter your pets!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."


5 comments:

  1. What a positive morning! I am so glad you have met Tyrone. It's always nice to have a friend in the neighborhood. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to foster or adopt little Buttons or George Jr.? Please email Janine if you could! Oh - and the picture of Peanutbutter is just priceless - belly up, feeling as safe as any animal every could in his new home. Bless his mama for adopting him and Janine for rescuing him. Let's get little Buttons a home everyone!! :)
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of peanut butter! So happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo of Peanut Butter - pure contentment. Job well done. -carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine,

    Your Vanessa, Midnight, Brady and Leo are adorable. Thanks for all you do for the Kitties Cat Angel. Sorry Lovely was being Lovely. I will give her a talking to next time I am in her company.

    Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine,

      I meant sorry Lovely was being un-Lovely. Either way I will remind her about all you do in the Beechwood section of the city which is where she resides.


      Walt

      Delete