Tuesday, March 24, 2015

No Good

I forgot to mention the weather lately.  It snowed on Sunday morning.  It was like a blizzard for a little bit there while I was making my rounds.  Its so darned cold, these past two mornings.  It was 19 degrees yesterday.  Wow. March.  And to think its spring.  Well, hey, ya gotta roll with the punches, as they say.

My sore throat has turned into a chest cold.  When I cough, its coming from way deep down - its not bad, but that's what it is.  I've been taking my 'medicine' at night, and God I do love that stuff.  I am NOT condoning taking prescription cough syrup, but it puts me into such a luscious sleep, and I feel no body aches or pains.  LOVE it.  But, its just about gone, so I need to get used to that.  :(  :)

Here are some pictures taken yesterday of some of the kitties I feed.  Be sure to click on the pictures to make them larger!

Ginger - Baldwin St.

Ginger's Mates

Ginger's Crew

Buttons

6th St. - where I feed Buttons and Whiskers
I was taking inventory of my locations today, thinking that soon, I will have to begin TNR.  Trap Neuter Return.  I hate it.  I really do.  I am not good at it.  I am good at cooking, I am good at driving (although some friends might disagree with that one!), I am good at my job - as unfulfilling and mundane that it is, I am good at being on time, I am good at being responsible, I think I am good at being a friend, but I just am not good at trapping.  I shouldn't say that, I am OK, but I hate DOING it.  I can't stand to see the animal scared out of its wits after the door slams behind them, I feel so bad for them, scared out of their minds when they are in this enclosure, and not knowing whats happening to them.  But its the end result that is the goal, and surpasses all that other emotional crap that I go through.  I must keep that in mind.

And boy are there a lot of kitties out there that need fixin'!  At my first location, there are two - one is a red boy with white chest, the other is a young tabby, a boy I believe - there has been an all black kitty hanging around between the first and second location.  At my second, Petey and Paulie are already done.  Petey let me pet him this morning, I was so happy about that.  He deserves a chance to have a home, and someone to love him.

Barney Before Rescue

Barney, after I rescued him!

At my third spot, there are a few tabbies that I believe are already done, although there is also a long haired black with some white that I see occasionally here now.  At my fourth (Hayward), there are tabbies and that sickly black kitty that came up yesterday to feed - the tabbies are already done I do believe, but not the blackie.  At the fifth (Baldwin), as you can see from the pics above, these kitties are already done.  The number has dwindled from eight, to around six, since Peanut Butter and Jelly were rescued.  Then onto Webster and Ferndale, (sixth) where I have no idea who I am feeding, but I am feeding some kitties, just don't know how many. I've seen a black kitty there, and a white with black on it.  My last rescue on this corner was Webster.

Butters, newly rescued getting flea bath

Butters, all cleaned up!

At the seventh spot, on Short, I haven't seen Milly in over a week now, only once since her buddy Morgan passed away inside their shelter.  I did, however, see three cats here that weren't familiar.  Then again, this morning was the darkest out than I 've seen in a long time.  DARK.

Cricket Before Rescue

Cricket After Rescue!
Then the eighth spot is Buttons and Whiskers and another calico, but all are fixed.  Ninth is Pennsylvania and Fourth, where there are usually around eight kitties, and most of the females are fixed but I do believe there is a young male tabby, and a red kitty with half a tail that still need to be done here.  Then onto Second and Penn (10th) , where there is a sweet little grey kitty, already fixed, and a calico that doesn't look like she has been done, but I can't be sure because she keeps her distance. Last rescue here was Mr. Fluffypants, who I am waiting on a picture, and update from his new mom.  Then behind Paul's house on 2nd (11th), there is a tabby I've been feeding for years and years.  No sign of Tuffy in a very long time.  Very sad about that.

Next is Third on Central (12th), where Roofy, a tuxie kitty hangs, and this morning there was a pretty grey kitty.  I could have sworn it was pregnant from the little I could see, but then again, aren't all greys males?  Next was Central and Fifth (13th), where there is a raccoon eating all the food, but I've been seeing an all black kitty here, and then onto 7th (my final and 14th spot!!!), where there is a larger colony, mostly fixed, but there are a couple of new ones hanging around. 

There are so many cats out there.  I need help trapping.  I hope I can get some help this spring. 

I also need help with fostering and adopting.  Elvis and Jelly are still waiting for homes.  Their foster mom does her best to get pictures, but its not easy.  I will try to get updates soon.

In the meantime, have a great day all!

"Life is too short to worry
Life is too short to be sad
Life is too short to ponder
on things you will never have
Life is too short for sadness
Life is too short for tears
Never count the day
Never count the years
Life is too short for falling out
Life is too short for war
Life is a gift, don't waste it
Life is so much more"


6 comments:

  1. Take care of yourself. Maybe your darling husband can make tomorrow's run so you can catch some extra sleep. :) -carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grey cat Peanut is a female. I have never heard that greys are all males!? Maybe my peanut is a boy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness Janine, I am exhausted just reading and thinking of what, who and where, for these kittys, Of all the things needed for you to continue this," hands on" from a volunteer, is the most elusive :( i dont know how to fix that for you and the kittys, Burnout is the most common reason for volunteers of anything, to drop out, and God knows you have carried this mission mostly alone for too long. I believe all that follow your blog, are aware of and are grateful to the Laura, Kristin and Nancy 's, others, I dont know the names of, that do step up to this and give time out of their schedule to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gray kitties can be male or female. So if you think that gray is pregnsnt she probably is! Hope you can get her spayed soon!!!
    FYI the only colors that are sex related are calicos and torties are always female. (Well supposedly there could be a one in a million male calico). And orange cats are most often male but there are LOTS of orange and buff females too so dont assume an orange is a male! Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you keep track of them all, especially with new ones showing up all the time. Praying you get the help that you need asap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gray kitties -- we just adopted one out from Wayne County Humane Society -- a gray female Thanks for all you do for the kitties -- whew that's a lot of walking!.

    ReplyDelete