Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Land Mine!


Thanks for the comment yesterday about not using towels or blankets inside of sleeping shelters, rather than straw.  Its something I know, but made the decision to place because I ran out of straw that I normally have when I go out in the morning, and I had nothing else but.  I'm pretty confident that its going to be ok for now until I can actually move this shelter to the adjacent lot location, which is going to be after the snow melts, which it is as we speak.  But normally folks, she/he is right. Straw resists the wet and keeps a shelter warm, and is the best choice for insulation and bedding.  You don't use towels or blankets inside a sleeping hut as they retain moisture.  And only use straw, not hay. Also Mylar blankets- they retain body heat.  If anyone is watching Better Call Saul, one of the characters is using that for himself to keep warm.  LOVE that show.  A spinoff from Breaking Bad.


The cats are using the paths that I walk on as their litter boxes, so this morning it was pretty tricky getting around these!  I had to dodge quite a few piles!


I saw a sweet, sick black cat at my Hayward location.  As I was pouring the food, just a few inches from my face, stood this little boy, waiting for me to place the food down.  You can tell he is sick because of how he looks.  I noticed a good wound on his ear also.  He let me pet him, but started to growl as he began to eat.  I am not sure what to do about this.


I also saw a fluffy black cat come out of the shelter as I got close to it at the Central shelter.  Beautiful, black fluffy boy, just like many others that I've rescued here recently.  I have not seen Chico recently, who is also fluffy black, but has some white on his chest.

I had a phone interview with a reporter yesterday who will actually write the story for the Democrat and Chronicle that is supposed to be done this week.  The main things I told her I wanted to stress in the story is that the city needs to take responsibility for these stray and feral cats by putting together a program which will include funding for spay/neuter and that means NO cost to me, and to those that can afford nothing.  The population is already out of control, and with only me trying to work the Beechwood section, a tiny portion of this city, it will keep getting worse with dozens and dozens of litters being born each day.  I figure if they are doing an article on this, seen by the general public - it is my duty to get this out there.  Most people don't realize what goes on in the dark, what they can't see!

So, I will keep you posted when it comes out!

In the meantime, have a great day!

Just One Voice

Each day I learn, research and read.
About all the animals who are in need.
The circus, the rodeo, the fur and factory farm.
The pain, the fear, the unbelieveable harm!

The research scientist who causes pain.
The dog in the yard chained in the rain.
The kitten drowned, the puppy burned.
These are just a few of the horrible tragedies 
of which I've learned!

The innocent ones they have no choice.
The innocent ones they have no voice.
The horrors inflicted upon those so dear.
And so many people who do not want to hear.

Each of us, we have a choice.
Each of us, we have a voice.
Use your voice to educate
Pass out leaflets, demonstrate.
Write letters, boycott stores. 
Knock on all your neighbors' doors.

Use your voice as I have mine.
You can help, it just takes time.

4 comments:

  1. Rachel Barnhart is moving to the Beechwood Neighborhood. I wonder if she'd get behind your mission with the City - or at least place a shelter in her yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your joke today Janine ! I also love what you gave the reporter for print in your article,you have assumed the role and sole responsibility of supporting TNR that benefits the whole community, the support of the city can only bring positive results to your vision..

    ReplyDelete
  3. feel sad for black sick kitty, do you think you will decide to take him in ?...wish i could, now have a potential sick possum under my deck, dehydrated but i am loathe to trap him and remove him, watching for now and getting advice from the famous B. Bellman !

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're really looking forward to reading the story about you. I think you made good points about what's needed for these cats. And that it's the community's problem to fund, not yours! You go above and beyond what anyone could expect. I hope you're enjoying this "warm" weather at least!

    ReplyDelete