Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Stress

It can kill you.  I now have three leaks in my house from the buildup of ice and snow on my roof. One in the living room, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen.  All in front of the window.  Not to mention I have two vehicles that need to pass inspection by the end of the month, and they won't be without major work that needs to be done on both.  Anyone know a cheap mechanic? I guess this is what happens when your vehicles are over 10 years old...  Anyone know a good repairman that can fix the damaged sills and walls that this has caused?  I am really not sure what should be done besides knock down the huge icicles that are now melting away.  I just had a new roof put on this past fall.  But its something like 'facia' that now needs to be added?  I don't know.  This homeowner thing is not all its cracked up to be.  :(

So walking this morning to each of my 15 locations was a joke.  Imagine a narrow hill, and you had to walk on the very tip of that hill, and if you fell from walking on the tip, your foot and leg would fall into a deep crevice.  Well, that's what its like walking to each of these spots where the cats are waiting.  Its a very narrow path, and this morning, I must have fallen off this built up path I've created over the snows we've had this winter, and each time I fell, my foot felt like it was never going to land on something.  Its scary.  I wore a double layer of leggings, and its a good thing because the snow is wet, and so were my pants at that point.  Its getting warmer out. We had another two inches of wet snow, heavy snow.  i didn't even bother to shovel this morning. My main concern was to walk these narrow paths without falling.  

All i can say is its only going to get worse before it gets better.  There is going to be a lot of snow melt when it does begin to warm up.  A LOT of towels to change, a LOT of mud to be had.  Plus, there are two locations where I am surely going to be thrown out because with the warmer weather, the landlord/owners are going to come inspect their properties.  Its a never ending battle that I have to continue to fight.


News story above:  The only thrill this morning was a huge house fire on Grand Avenue, again. There was another last year, one that burnt to the ground.  I've never seen so many firetrucks before, nor cops.  I had to speak to a few that were blocking me from going to feed the babies on Grand and Baldwin.  They were nice, but told me they couldn't let me drive to the spot, so I had to walk.  I thought for sure the cats wouldn't be around due to the noise and traffic, but there they were, popping their little heads out when they heard me coming.  Fires are terrible.  I only got out once to talk to the cop, and when I got back in, you could STILL smell the smoke, on me, and I was only out for a second!  Not to mention if anyone was injured, and the displacement of families.  Sad.

So, that's it in another nutshell.  I've noticed that not many people are commenting, nor reading this blog anymore.  At one point there were over a thousand hits a day - and now its less than two hundred.  I must be getting pretty boring here.  Not sure, but as long as I have something to say, I will continue to write.  At least its of benefit to me, sort of therapy.  :()

More pictures below of past rescues.  Click on each one to see up close!  Have a good day.  























5 comments:

  1. I still read it every single day! Those are some real lucky, blessed kitties to have those beautiful warm, loving homes. Gratification in itself. Sorry about that roof, somethings not right. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading I am reading! :) Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. 200 hits a day is pretty damn good in my book. A thousand is incredible, but don't despair over 200!! I read it everyday faithfully as hundreds of others do too. You've had over HALF A MILLION hits on this blog. Yeah - no one is reading it. ;) I am so sorry for the horrid conditions you are dealing with right now. Winter sucks for you but spring does too just for different reasons. Again, I am so sorry for that. I will help you this weekend though and maybe we can make at least a few sights easier to work in. Hang in there Janine ♥!! - Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, my baby boys! I haven't seen that picture before! I wish I could have had them when they were little. Now they're just big babies, haha!

    I feel your pain about the leaks. We've had some pretty bad ones from ice dams and had to have the snow removed from the roof and calcium chloride put on the ice. I just hope we don't get a mold problem from the water leaking down through the walls. This has been one rotten winter for people and kitties alike. :( Stay strong! Spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as you keep writing, Janine, I will keep reading. I just don't leave comments very often.

    I think they should call it "damn icing" instead of "ice damming". When you are a home owner on your own and with limited resources, it can be a real pain sometimes. But there is a lot to be said for having your own space. After all, how many cats can you safely and responsibly cram into an apartment???

    ReplyDelete