Thursday, October 16, 2014

Here We Go Again

Sad to say, but I am starting to feel 'burn out', which is something a lot of rescue people have felt before.  I have never been busier running here, running there, cleaning this, cleaning that, and that is ALL for cats.  I still have a life OUTSIDE of cats where I have to do those very same things, but the cat stuff is taking over far more than my personal life stuff is.  

I received a phone call last night, woke me up out of a much needed first hour of sound sleep, and I didn't recognize the number, so ignored it.  Two minutes later, another call, same number.  I then thought, who is this when I noticed a message had been left.  I played the message and was extremely troubled when I listened to it.  You all remember Luna, right?  She is the kitten I rescued from Second Street, along with her sister Piper.  Luna was at first named Daisy, but after she was in foster, they renamed her Luna.  Weeks prior, I had rescued Sweet Pea, their mother.  She was also in foster with the same family.  Piper escaped, never to be seen again, which broke my heart, and still does to this day.  Luna, who is by now 8 months old, was recently adopted to a man who lived alone with his adult cat.  He was gone for many hours in the day, so wanted a companion and heard about Luna from a friend.  I brought Luna over at least four weeks (?) ago and things had been going OK, I did call to check weekly, just about.  I always got a report that seemed to be getting better.  Luna was semi-feral when I rescued her at four or five months of age, around there...  I think.  So she was still shy, especially being moved to a new home after being at her previous home for well over a month.

Anyone who knows me knows I am not good with paperwork, but I do save it all.  I eventually get you the cat's paperwork when you adopt the cat out, sooner rather than later.  I had promised this man that I would get him the paperwork, and I had not.  I dug through all my paperwork when I got up, and have it to send to him today, but thats another story.

Anyways, this older gentleman left me two very extreme, and threatening messages.  AND he was very intoxicated.  I will not judge anyone for a particular action in their life if its not how I know them.  I met this person and he seemed to be a very kind and patient man.  I actually delivered Luna to him with my 6-yr. old niece.  I lectured him, jokingly, about smoking in his apartment with the kitties and their little lungs breathing it in.  I also called him earlier in the day and asked how things were going, and he seemed fine, he was still at work and would call me in the evening when he got home.  I am not sure if this is his character, or if this was a one time thing.  And maybe he doesn't even remember it today.

I am not quite sure what I am going to do - he did threaten to take Luna to Lollipop.  I don't even know if he could do worse than that, by throwing the kitten outside.  Apparently, one never really knows what someone is capable of.  This person was very irrational by the sounds of it.  I was very very upset after listening to these messages, and thought about calling him back, but didn't.  I knew it wouldn't be a good conversation. It was a long time before I fell back asleep.

So, thats where I am at right now.  Not sure if he is going to return Luna.

Sweet Pea was brought to her new home after work yesterday.  A very kind girl took her in. She lives with her mom, and both will be very happy when they get to know how sweet Sweet Pea really is.  I can't wait for the update!

Vanessa - Parsells (4-5 mos. old)

Kingsley - Central & 5th

I returned these sweet animals to the streets this morning.  Little Vanessa bit me as I tried to calm her in the trap that she spent the night in.  Kingsley spent the night in my bathroom, and it pained me greatly to have to shove him back in the carrier to return him to this nasty neighborhood he was dumped in originally.  But they are both spayed and neutured.  Onwards and upwards.

Have a nice day.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch,
a smile, a kind word, a listening ear,
an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring,
all of which have the potential to
turn a life around." 

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I'm not sure how yet, but I bet this situation will work out! Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy, guess what, it did! Stay tuned for tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete