Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Another Act of Kindness

PRINCE


I 'trapped' another male this morning off Pennsylvania and 2nd (naming him Prince), to be brought into the clinic for neutering, along with the female with still active milk ducts who is the mother of the kittens I have in my upstairs bathroom.  These kittens were at least her second litter, so I've been told.  There is a colony of cats there in Brighton just reproducing away.  At least this man had the heart to reach out to someone, me.  I wish I had gotten a picture of Goldie to post here, but I forgot to take one of her.  Sweet little girl.

If you will recall, a week or two ago I wrote about a young man - Colton - who sacrificed his birthday gifts in leiu of donations to me from his friends earlier in the year.  I then told you about a recent experience he had in trying to save an injured squirrel.  Please read back in earlier posts (within past two weeks) if you missed this.  A kind person in law enforcement who reads my blog was blown away by Colton, and wanted to send him a note.  Here is what that note said, as shared by his mother:

Hi Colton,

I just wanted to drop you a quick note of THANKS. You do not know me but I am a friend of Janine Wagner and I read her blog daily. I am a HUGE animal lover and I especially love squirrels. (I get that from my Mom, who also used to tell me that I always rooted for the underdogs. :) Janine mentioned in her blog recently several incredibly amazing and selfless things you did. The most recent of protecting a squirrel from other kids wanting to hurt  harm it after it was already injured. You protected that little critter and got him/her much needed help when others simply walked around or away from it. You put yourself in harm's way to protect another living creature and did what was right. Your compassion for animals and people is absolutely remarkable and commendable. You are truly one of the "good guys" and I just wanted to share my appreciation to you.

I understand you have had to endure some harassment/ rough time from others for helping that squirrel. I am very sorry about that but please know this-YOU did the absolute right thing. YOU stood out in that crowd and helped a defenseless animal. YOU did what no one else had the guts or courage to do. YOU made a difference to that squirrel and...... to me, a complete stranger. You see Colton, sometimes people are afraid of what others may think so they don't do the right things. Or they mock or poke fun at someone because they are not strong enough themselves to defend another.

It can be tough and it truly takes a lot of guts and bravery to do what's right, to stand alone and stand up for what you believe in even though you may get mocked or picked on. I have been a Deputy for the Monroe County Sheriff's Office- Jail Bureau for many years. Every day that I put my uniform on, I see some people who do not like what I do, say, or stand for. They call me names and can be really mean sometimes. But, I do it anyway because I like protecting others and I know at the end of the day, what I did was right.


It takes an incredibly strong person to stand up for what you believe in and to help someone or something that needs it. I admire and respect you so very much. You are truly an amazing young man. I'm  not sure what you want to be when you grow up, but I can say for certain by your actions the day you helped the squirrel, to last year when you asked for donations for Janine instead of gifts for yourself, and all the 'everyday' things you do for others, that you will be an incredibly great and successful guy at whatever you decide when you get older.

Thank YOU for standing up for that squirrel and for all animals. Thank YOU for caring for others and for standing up for what you believe in and what is right.  YOU are destined for more great things Colton!! I am very proud and honored to know someone like you who is making such a tremendous impact in this world like you are. YOU are changing this world young man!

In law enforcement, we salute others to show respect and to pay tribute to our 'Brothers & Sisters' in uniform. It's something that is very sacred and special to us. So, I salute you Colton because of your actions and because I feel you are incredibly special and well deserving.

Once again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the good that you do and will continue to do. I look forward to hearing more great things about you. Keep your head up, know that you are never alone in your fight to stand up for others because there are so many that support you, keep making your Mom, and complete strangers like me, proud of you! AND... Keep rooting for the underdogs! :)


With much gratitude,


**By the way, I've enclosed a small gift for you to do something nice for yourself.

Lovely, eh?  Brought tears to my eyes,.  The kindness of strangers.

 "The essence of humankind is kindness. There are other qualities which come from education or knowledge, but it is essential, if one wishes to be a genuine human being and impart satisfying meaning to one's existence, to have a good heart.”

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an incredible post. It brought tears to my eyes too. I am so happy that Colton is receiving recognition for his efforts. It took a lot of guts for him to stand up to those kids and without recognition, he could easily have been intimidated into not doing the right thing the next time. I think your law enforcement friends deserves a lot of credit too for taking the time to write such a beautiful letter. And Colton's parents for raising such a wonderful person. Win, win, win, all around!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - compassion is something that is lacking in the world today. To recognize and appreciate Colton's caring actions is spreading the word that goodness prevails and is the right thing to do. Cudos to Colton, his parents and this officer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I made the mistake of bookmarking the first blog came across. the old days or somthing like that.. and so have been missing your other posts.. You met me little over week ago. And TNX again Moma Goldie 1 is doing good, is coming around yet still don't trust me as she did. staying in the sun room. And has reunited with her 1st 2 one as it turns out was a tomboy and is now sharing sun room with her. Call sometime not sure of your hours.. D

    ReplyDelete