Monday, September 22, 2014

Puss n Boots

Peanut Butter - he needs a home!  Still on the street!  All vetted!
Princess is still on the street too, she needs  home! She sits in my lap in my car each morning.  :(


My weekends are jam packed.  And unfortunately, as much as I would like to forget about cats when I finish up my ‘rounding’ in the morning, the subject never leaves me.  Saturday morning, after leaving the house at 5 am. to go into the city, in the dark, to feed over 60 cats each morning, 365 days a year, pouring their food, fresh water, a pat here, a pat there, I went back into the city at 8:30 that morning to meet up with someone who I met through my sister/blog, and her husband, and Kristin.  We met at Short Street, because the woman’s husband had made a shelter for me, with roofing material and all.  It’s a beautiful shelter.  It will house a kitty or two comfortably during the wicked storms we get in the wintertime.  We disassembled the old shelter I had there.  And it was pretty gross, let me tell you.  Two were filled with GAZILLIONS of tiny ants.  A rat came scurrying out of a board that was flat on the ground.  We replaced it with a pallet, and made it all clean and cozy, including a new tarp on the top.  It poured over night, and the towel I spread down, for comfort was soaked, so I have to rethink the design so that the towels I place in there won’t get wet. 

Paul, on Second, had holes in the basement area of his house and asked for some cement, which I brought to him, and he also moved the cat shelters there to the side of his garage.  He did a little landscaping/trimming of the tree next to the house so that the raccoons can’t get onto his roof so easily.  Hopefully we will be able to move the shelters to behind the house again soon, as they are protected by the house during those westerly storms.  Paul was irritated by the skunks that were hanging around there, and I haven’t seen them since he moved this stuff last week. 

Saturday morning, the city was wide awake at 5 am.  I ran into the usual suspects around Second, and one of them was Chris.  Chris came up to me after seeing me get out of my car, whisky bottle in hand, and told me his mom Brenda (from Central and Fifth – Sherrell’s mother) wanted to talk to me, as they had cats hanging around their house on Second.  Really?  Anyways, Chris needed a hug (uh huh), which I gave to him, and his face wound up in the crook of my neck and lingered there a second too long.  I said, OK Chris, that’s enough, and he said he didn’t mean to disrespect me.   His friend came up, and asked for a hug too, which I did.  I then said – OK guys, I need to keep moving, I will stop by and see your mom later Chris, and as I walked away, I heard “Puss n Boots”.  I thought that was hilarious, as I was dressed in my usual get up – pink boots.  I trust these people, as I have been doing this for many years in these neighborhoods, and they do respect me.  So no worries people!


Some great news.  Cookie, the black kitten, and Bubbles, the larger black and white kitten, are getting adopted!  So is Willow, the tiny black kitten, by my friend Jackie.  My neighbor came over yesterday on a completely different matter, met Bubbles, and fell in love.  She is taking him after her surgery tomorrow.  I went to the hairdresser on Saturday, and a fellow hairdresser there heard me mention that I do rescue and had kittens, asked about them, and confirmed last night that she wanted to adopt Cookie!  GREAT news!  I now have two kittens left!  Out of 8!  AWESOME!

And even better news, Boris, now re named GREYLING,who had to be re homed last Thursday, is doing well in his new home.  Here are some of the reports I have been getting:

 It's going really well. He is so sweet. He warmed up to me really easily but it's going to take a little while for him to get used to a noisy, wiggly little boy who is in constant motion.  But this morning Grey began rubbing against Sol's legs and asking for Sol to pet him. Sol is also learning how to sit quietly and let Grey come to him. I think it may take a few days but the two little guys will soon be best buddies. And Sol did try to convince me to let him sleep in the bathroom next to Grey. I know this will work out. It's going to be fine.

I tried to get him out yesterday.  He didn't want to come out at all so last night,  I picked him up and brought him to the couch.  He stayed on my lap for a while and walked off to hide somewhere else. He's hiding now. I told my son to just leave him alone and he will come to us when he's ready.

Grey is now out of hiding and watching us from a distance.  He is eating, drinking & eliminating normally. But he is still shy. We are letting Grey decide how and when he wants to approach us but we constantly tell him what a good kitty he is from a distance.  We were at a friends for dinner tonight and when we got home, we saw that he had moved his toys around which means that he was playing while we were gone. He is slowly warming up.
Linda & Sol & Greyling

He is finally in my bed with me demanding to be petted tonight. He responds to "no" but is right this moment trying to figure out who is the  dominant one in the house. Just like letting him get used to us,  learning that he is not the boss is going to take some time. He is alternately kneading me with his paws and becoming aggressive by laying his teeth on my hand and slowly clamping down or deliberately scratching me to see what I will do. He's also tried using my leg as a scratching post and clawing at me.  But he does respond to repeated no's and I think he just needs consistency to understand he cannot be dominant here. I'm also wondering if either Sol snuck him a little catnip or Grey got into some on his own and that is making him aggressive because our dearly departed cat, Tigger, became extremely aggressive on catnip as well.
He's taking a little longer to warm up to Sol but I don't blame him. He's wiggly, noisy, and he cries loudly at least a few times a day. I have Sol give him a few treats throughout the day to help them bond.

Finally, Nancy came over and got Lacey, the white kitty that I rescued from Second last Tuesday, that was pregnant, got spayed on Wednesday, and needed to find a home.  She will be fostered by Nancy until we can find her a permanent home.  She is such a love.  And so is Nancy.  XO

I couldn’t have asked for a better weekend!  Thank you everyone!


  1. Yeah that is awesome Janine! Glad the kitties are being adopted. Tracy

  2. Great news about Boris/Greyling. Fingers crossed the good news continues. Now, about you and those hugs...KNOCK IT OFF! -carol

  3. Yeah - I agree with Carol. No need to hug on the streets - don't make us worry more than we already do!! Nancy C.