Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Another Rescue

Monday P.M.

I was given the opportunity to provide a cat for an 88 year old man this week.  A friend of mine, she does home care, has an 88 year old man who she has befriended, and he lost (passed away) his cat Wally a month or so ago, and is terribly lonely (his words).  He owns a ranch home, in Irondequoit, and is a good old Irishman.  He was worried, because of his age, if it was fair for him to take a cat in.  My friend told him about me, and said maybe he could just 'foster' a kitty.

On the one hand, I am leary about giving a man his age a cat. - what happens to kitty if something happens to him?   On the other hand, I am desperate to find these cats on the streets homes, AND I want to provide some joy to a person his age.  Apparently his neighbors have been pushing him to visit Lollipop Farm, which he did today.  When we spoke yesterday, and he told me this, I was disappointed, but didn't let him know it. I encouraged him, and told him that if it didn't work out, he could still call me and I could find a kitty just for him.  I thought that was that, he will surely find a good decent cat there.  He called me today and told me he met quite a few there, but didn't find the one.  I was elated.  I told him he had a choice of a boy or a girl, and because Wally was a boy, he might want another.  There is a cat I've been feeding on Pennsylvania and Second that I've just seen the past couple of weeks now, there at the abandoned house across the street each morning to greet me, eartipped. Pure grey.  Beautiful boy.  I have such a fondness for grey cats.  He comes running to me, hungrily, and I place food and water down for him.  I have had good luck with most of the grey cats I've rescued, and their dispositions, and am usually spot on with most of them.  So I told this man that I had a good kitty for him, his name being Purrcy.  I always name the cats I've rescued with the letter of the street they were rescued from, which is why its so confusing after that when they are adopted and are renamed!  :)

Tuesday A.M.

Well, I got Purrcy this morning.  PURR CY - get it?  I have to say I feel tremendous guilt because I have three female cats in foster right now - one is Autumn, the Wesley College kitten, the only one left out of the eight I originally had, one is Lacey, the pretty little white kitty that was pregnant that I recently rescued, that Nancy is fostering, and then Sweet Pea - fostered by a friend in Fairport, whose daughter Luna was just rescued and adopted.   But this elderly man had a male kitty, and this grey cat was running to me each morning, what could I do???  My heart just aches for all those cats that I feed out there.  There are just so many now.  Young ones (three kittens that I know of), and old ones, and they are mostly all friendly, and need homes!



The plan is to get Purrcy over to meet this man, let them get to know each other, and get the cat into the clinic for updated shots.  I do believe he is a he (I don't see any signs AT ALL that he was once a boy!), and that he is neutered due to his ear being tipped (clipped).   I pray pray pray this works out.  I let him out of the carrier this morning in my bathroom, and he wasn't as friendly as he was on the street.  After some growling, and then eating, and sitting on my lap, with me cautiously scratching his head after putting flea med on him, it felt like he was warming up, but I am scared to death of getting bit, so I was extra careful with him.  He was sitting in the window when I closed the door for the day.  I will hopefully deliver him tomorrow after work.  If it doesn't work out, I pray this man allows me to try another, and Purrcy, unfortunately will have to go back to the street.  Its awful knowing I may have to do this.

So, fingers crossed, and prayers said!  Thank you!

Have a great day!

Times

"I sit beside the fire and think
 Of all that I have seen
 Of meadow flowers and butterflies
 In summers that have been

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
 In autumns that there were
 With morning mist and silver sun
 And wind upon my hair

I sit beside the fire and think
 Of how the world will be
 When winter comes without a spring
 That I shall ever see

For still there are so many things
 That I have never seen
 In every wood in every spring
 There is a different green

I sit beside the fire and think
 Of people long ago
 And people that will see a world
 That I shall never know

But all the while I sit and think
 Of times there were before
 I listen for returning feet
 And voices at the door."

J.R.R. Tolkien -

3 comments:

  1. Lovely bathroom but do you ever get to sit on the toilet or take a bath without a kitty on your lap? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Janine - getting another kitty off the streets - pray that it works. Don't hesitate to put one of these kitties before the fosters. They're safe & warm - Lacey's far from ready to go to a permanent home; I have to fatten her up some more. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful poem Janine. Haveing just returned from my Uncle's funeral, it made me cry. But happy, sentimental tears. :) Nancy is right - the fosters are safe and warm and their turn will come. I am so happy you are giving Purrcy a chance. I will pray it works out.
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete