Monday, July 7, 2014

"I can't talk right now, I gotta pee!"


This weekend has been an amazing one.  So many highs, a few lows, but it balanced out, and as my mother said:  The good makes up for the bad. 

The puppies were surrendered by the owner on Friday.  She got her cash, and pool.  The pool was a welcome gift, but as we walked around back of the house to find the spigot, she pointed out it was another broken part of the house that the slumlord that she pays money to each month ignores.  His name is Gary Nemi, and I must find out how one can file a complaint against a landlord who ignores intolerable situations.  She has a window that's been boarded up and said her son was cut on it.  I actually felt a bit sorry for Sherell and we did form sort of a friendship through all this.  She told me the puppies names were Butterfly and Beethoven.  She asked for pictures of them as they grew older.  I promised her I would.  I also confronted the Puerto Rican man that smashed up my shelter there under the tree a house away from Sherell, on city property.  The food there apparently bothered his mother, with flies, and she claims to have asthma.  He told me he was on parole, and didn't want any trouble, he said he moved my stuff without smashing anything the day before, but that I had placed it all back.  I educated him on what I was doing for the cats around there, told him secretly I though Sherell was not such a great person (he told me her boyfriend he had beaten up - apparently its a feuding neighbor situation), and told him about how many cats I've rescued from that spot, and now the dogs.  We finally came to a point where he got me, and I got him.  We parted with me nearly hugging him.  I told him I would compromise, and move my shelter to the back of the vacant lot.  That's that.  Now I have to rebuild my stuff back there so the cats can keep their food from the rain, and seek shelter in the huts if they need it.

The puppies were with me for the first three days, then three nights with Nancy (to give me a break!), then back to me, and off to a new foster in Livonia they went yesterday.  We think they are only five to six months, and have some Boxer and Shepard in them.  Very very very sweet little babies.  The girl, very rambunctious, and the boy, very mellow.

I also rescued the Bengal kitty that's been hanging around between Parsells, Grand, Stout and Chamberlain streets.  Very nice kitty, and a friend stepped up to say she would foster it, and now will most likely be keeping it, as her husband has 'fallen in love."  Can't wait to get an update on it from its vet visit on Saturday, and what its been named!

There is a very young cat, a beautiful red tabby, with a collar, under a year for sure, on Second, that is pregnant.  I brought my carrier to get it and get it into the clinic when I can get an appointment, but it wasn't there this morning.  I did, however, see one of the baby kittens that were in the tree last week, and my heart sank.  I also saw its mother, who I also just had spayed last week.

On Sunday morning, as I drove to one of my 14 locations that I drive to every single day to feed an average of 5 cats at each spot, I spotted Big Red #2 in front of a dilapidated garage that I used to feed, and have been feeding him there on and off for a couple of weeks now.  I pulled around the corner and there was a man in the garage, beginning to relieve himself!  I shouted out the window, "hey!  don't do that, that's where I feed the kitty!, have some respect!"  he then must have stopped midstream, and started to leave, and I thought I had recognized him from a year ago in that area, he said he knew who I was, feeding cats and all, and I said "oh I know you!, how've you been?", and he started to ride away on his bike and shouted, "I can't talk right now, I gotta pee!"  Funny stuff.  I laughed about that all the way home.

All in all, a great weekend. 

I  hope yours was as well!

"If you don't think you have any blessings remember
your heart is still beating."

5 comments:

  1. Janine,
    You should tell the Parolee that he needs to replace your shelters immediately. Advise him that you do not want to cause problems for him. Let him know that if his Parole Officer found out what he did that he could be arrested for Criminal Mischief and Trespass violated, and sent back to Prison. That should get his attention and prevent him from ever destroying your property again.

    Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think boxer/ shepherd mix is more accurate that pitbull/chow. I did not see any chow or pit in the puppies at all. they are SO sweet!!!!!!!
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Kristin with the breed. And they are adorable - I thoroughly enjoyed having them at my home over the 4th weekend. The little girl is so curious and much more of a dare devil than the boy. I miss them. :( Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great column today. I am curious about that pregnant red with the collar. Does that kitty belong to someone? Or do you think that is an abandoned kitty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no clue if the red is abandoned or belongs. Regardless, I need to get it spayed, and its definitely pregnant. Its a sweet thing, very very young, no more than nine months. Poor angel. Very very pretty too.

      Delete