Thursday, July 10, 2014

Done it Again. Did it Again. Whatever.


PIP SQUEEK

Yup, meet the latest.  This is the kitten I mentioned that I had seen a lot last week, and over the weekend, and believed it to be pregnant.  I had every intention to get it Monday for the clinic appointments I had on Wednesday, and she never showed until today.  I can feel her milk ducts.  Yup, she is pregnant.  I didn't think twice when I saw her on Second, and I grabbed her!  I will call the clinic first thing to get an appointment for tomorrow, if they can squeeze me in.  What a little lovebug too.

Of the two females I trapped yesterday, and released this morning after being spayed, one was in heat, the other was pregnant (early).  Do you know how many litters are now prevented because of the spaying of these three females?  TONS.  And for every kitten born, whether it be outside, or rescued and adopted out by a rescue group, a kitten at a shelter is killed.  We don't need any more kittens in this world.  We need more birth control.  Believe me, its hard for me, but I know how  hard it is for newborns to survive being born outdoors.  The ones that survive after birth, they have to fend for themselves if mama gets killed, or attacked by something, or whatever, they suffer tremendously.  Most don't make it.  Only the super strong survive.

Newborns are kittens from birth to three weeks of age. Kittens are very fragile during these first weeks. They are totally dependent upon their mother for protection, warmth and nutrition.  Healthy newborns cared for by their mother are a vision of contentment. They spend 90% of their time sleeping against her warmth, and 10% of their time eagerly nursing.  Most mother cats normally take excellent care of their litters. They are meticulous about keeping the nest and each kitten clean. They are extremely protective of their newborns, and will move them to a new location if they are threatened.  Abandoned kittens present a very different picture. Cold, hungry, and unprotected, they cry for their mother. Denied the warmth of her
presence, they eventually become comatose.   Abandoned newborn kittens, unable to sustain their body temperature, slip into a coma and die

Here are some hard facts:
  • Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.
  • Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).
  • Approximately 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year (1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats).
  • About 649,000 animals who enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. Of those, 542,000 are dogs and only 100,000 are cats.
  • Of the dogs entering shelters, approximately 35% are adopted, 31% are euthanized and 26% of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner. 
  • Of the cats entering shelters, approximately 37% are adopted, 41% are euthanized, and less than 5% of cats who came in as strays are returned to their owners.
  • About twice as many animals enter shelters as strays compared to the number that are relinquished by their owners.
  • It is impossible to determine how many stray dogs and cats live in the United States; estimates for cats alone range up to 70 million.
  • The average number of litters a fertile cat produces is one to two a year; the average number of kittens is four to six per litter.
  • The average number of litters a fertile dog produces is one a year; the average number of puppies is four to six.
  • Owned cats and dogs generally live longer, healthier lives than strays.
  • Many strays are lost pets who were not kept properly indoors or provided with identification.
  • Only 10%of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered, while 83% of pet dogs and 91% of pet cats are spayed or neutered.
  • The cost of spaying or neutering a pet is less than the cost of raising puppies or kittens for a year.
The man from Chamberlain finally called me yesterday.  I really need some advice.  I don't know what to say to people who aren't downright mean to me, but have a point.  After mentioning that he did not own the property, and then telling him what I do in those neighborhoods, and how long I've been doing it, he stated how he is getting raccoons, rats, etc. from me feeding on the porch, the cats are trampling over his cars, his property that he takes pride in.  He even knew that I had moved the shelters from kitty corner from there, on Garson last fall.  He said you are only there for minutes, but I have to live next door to the flies, the rodents, etc. that are going on that porch to eat!  After much back and forth discussion, I felt I really didn't have much of a defense.  I couldn't disagree with him, but told him that I cannot just stop feeding the cats, I would not let them starve, and that no, I cannot just move them.  I was trying my best to get most adopted, but that we would have to work together, and he would have to allow me to continue feeding in the vacant lot next to the vacant house until I could figure out something.  He did mention he would have to call the city on me (when I first mentioned that the city owned it, not him). He agreed to give me time, to figure out another alternative. What a mess.  Another problem, and this is just around the corner (and down the street) from that Shareef guy, and all the trouble he caused me.  Which by the way, its been very quiet.  I've trapped many kitties there and had them neutered and fixed this summer.  And I continue to feed and shelter them back at my original spot, thanks to the homeowner that gave me permission to do so.  Thanks Mike.  :)

Have a great day all!

"Yesterday is a dream, tomorrow but a vision. But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well, therefore to this day." 





4 comments:

  1. I find some of his complaints to not make any sense. Since you feed in the morning the raccoons are not likely to still be awake once it is light out. As far as flies i would think they are only attracted to the canned food and surely none is leftover. is there even any dry food left over for long after you feed? I think not. Maybe you could put canned on separate plates and swing back by there and pick those dirty plates up?
    Rats. Did you point out to him that having the cats around HAS to be HELPING with the rodent population? I find that hard to believe too since again I doubt there is food leftover.
    His car. Suggest to him that he sprinkle some black pepper on the car. That is one known deterrent and shouldnt hurt the car. Coffee ggrounds also known to deter cats but not sure if that wouldnt hurt the paint. Google cat deterrents for other ideas.
    Sounds to me like he just wants to complain and needs to be convinced that there ARE ways to co-exist with Community Cats. You might find more info on Alley Cat Allies website.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. If her milk is in, she's nursing kittens, Janine! She doesn't look pregnant in the picture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest assured Laura, babies are wiggling around in there to get out! I could not get an appt. at clinic for her, and someone desperately wanted to foster her and her babies. I wouldn't be surprised if she delivers today, or this weekend.

    ReplyDelete