Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hump Day

Mickey 

The pregnant kitty that Laura trapped for me yesterday from Hayward, who we will call Burnie for now (kind of like Laura’s last name, kinda…  J) has been spayed, and her injured foot looked at.  They say she has a swollen carpus, which is similar to a sprained wrist?   Thank you to Laura who will keep Birdie caged for a few days, so that her ‘wrist’ can heal.   

It was back to usual this morning, out in the dark at 5 am., going to 14 different locations in the inner city, all within a 2-3 mile radius of each other, putting down food here and there, picking up a soaking towel, replacing with a dry one, patting a kitty’s head here and there, cat calling, and generally watching out for myself, in the dark.  Its been a wet summer really, we’ve had some really good storms – its been true what they say, when it rains, it pours.  So far I am down shelters at two locations – 4th and Pennsylvania, and Parsells #1.  I don’t know what I will do when its time to batten the hatches when the cold weather comes.   I know I will need some more shelters built, which I’ve had some made out of wood, some out of plastic totes, and some out of Styrofoam boxes.  The problem is the creeps that take them and destroy them.  I need to rebuild the shelters on Central near 5th, Short (needs waterproof tarp), Hayward, Baldwin, and the shelter on Chamberlain.  They are all in need of touch ups, and some creativity on how best to keep them dry over the winter.  I need help with this.  If anyone would like to come round with me some morning, and help figure out how we could rearrange, I would be ever so grateful to you!

I am feeling very bad for two kitties in particular.  The little mama girl on Second that I took her babies from this past week, and the little black cat on Hayward that runs to greet me each morning, starving.  Both allow me to pick them up and hold them.  Both desperately need homes (including George, Brady, Fraser, and soon the kittens, Daisy and Piper!).   Please spread the word about these angels.

Just a reminder about my fun’raiser coming up on Saturday.  A big shout out to all the women in my life who have helped to make this possible, including those that have made basket donations.  Its going to be a fun day, and I pray to the Sun Goddess to keep the Rain Man away.  We will have lots of food, live music, and a ton of great stuff up for auction.  I would be over the moon to meet as many of you as possible that read this blog, or that know me and my passion.  And if I may be so bold, if you can’t make it, maybe consider a donation of food or money to go towards food and spay/neuter.  Remember, I spend an average of $100 a week to feed the homeless cats.  That’s just food.  Spay/neuter, its $50 per cat at the clinic.   I don’t know how long I can continue to do this, my health always being the concern, but its much easier for me to have some help, as I don’t get breaks that the rescue organizations get.  So anything helps!

Thanks for listening, and have a great day!

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons.  They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men." –

1 comment: