Monday, June 2, 2014

Things That Go Bump in The Night




Above are some of the kittens I've rescued.  I can't begin to count all the cats and kittens I've rescued, and adopted out.  So many - and I miss each and every one of them.  They all meant something to me.   They each had a story.

This morning I heard a loud crash, in the wee hours of the morning, just an hour before I had to drag my self out of bed at 3:45.  It startled me, but for the one second I had the thought that someone, who wasn't supposed to be, was in the house and I would be murdered.  Of course, that dissipidated quickly because when you have cats, anything goes.  I knew it had to be one of the cats knocking over something, or something went flying down the basement stairs.  So I ignored it, until the usual kitty started to climb on me, hoping to wake me up so that I could give it my undivided attention.  It didn't need food, there is plenty for all of them in the two bowls in the kitchen.  They begin to get bored, and just want me up.  So, up I finally did, and started a new Monday. 

Its definitely quiet out there at 5 in the morning.  I find myself running out of dry food these days, during my route.  I fill two 2-gallon baggies and an old coffee canister with dry food, and usually a small bag of dry food just in case, and then five large yogurt tubs of wet food every single day.  Sometimes, when I forget that smaller bag of food, I start rationing off the food towards my last half of the route I take each day, 14 stops total.  I feel bad because I know that food will be gone in an instant in some locations, because not only am I feeding the four on average cats that I DO see, I know there are the real ferals lurking in the shadows never to be seen, but still hungry nevertheless.

I was telling someone the other day just how much it costs me.  I know I might sound like a broken record to some, but there are new people that are reading this blog, so I will say it again.  I spend, from my own pocket, an average of $120 per week feeding the homeless cats.  That includes 7 18-pound bags of dry, and a few 32 can cases of wet food.    Actually its 20 regular sized cans a day.  Yes, I have an aluminum heaven for the guys that come around and grab the aluminum cans on garbage day to sell for cash.  I don't have a calculator on me, but $120 times 52 is....  (sorry, was never good at math).  That's a lot, and I don't get breaks, except for the occasional generous drop offs I get on my porch, or delivery from a store.  Donations are always welcome, thank you in advance!  :)

I will be calling the clinic today to schedule more TNR - spay/neuters.  There are a lot of kitties out there that need fixin. 

In the meantime, have a great week!

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."

2 comments:

  1. Never worry about being a broken record J the big animal organizations that get revulsion hefty donations are advertising on all kinds of medi every day, about the need for funds. You are just one, and we know donations to you go only to the cats, no admin., no staff, no promotional material, just the kitty's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spell check should be REGULAR not revulsion, what does that word even mean, Spell Check ????

    ReplyDelete