Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Oh Baby!


So last night, I am just getting into bed, after a very very very long day, and I got a call from a woman who I have helped in the past spay and neuter a few cats that she feeds in a covered type area in the back of her yard on Parsells.  She said she found a baby kitten in her grass yesterday, around 4 pm, she said it was ‘blind’, and that she thought it was too young to be away from her mother, about a week or two old, and she was giving it regular milk with a dropper.  I called the few people I could, but no one was really able to help at that moment – I called Brenda back and told her to call a cell number of a woman who runs a larger rescue, she did, but the woman never returned her call.   I won’t name the rescue, but this has happened a few times now.  Now, I know everyone has their hands full, but Brenda left a message asking what she should do regarding keeping the baby alive, and at the very least, she should have been called back.  I can honestly say I have NO experience with kittens, especially newborns that are not eating regular food yet.




This morning, Brenda was waiting for me with the kitten in a milk crate that she kept on her porch overnight.  Her boyfriend hates cats and wouldn’t allow it in the house.  I put it in the truck with me, and went on my route.  It seems ok, but its eyes were not opening.  I got it home, and wiped its glued eyes enough to be able pry them open, and I did get them open, but then thought, what if it was too young to open its eyes up and I just pried them open!!!  Either way, its gooey tiny little eyes looked around and said where am I?  I sent a few more texts to the only people I know that might have KMR, asking them if they had this kitten replacement milk, and not receiving a response right away, because who in God’s name, besides me, is up at 6 am and answering texts for help?  This kitten was extremely weak by now, and I believe was dying.  And I do desperate things when its called for, so I called my dear old pal Maree and her husband Joe – at 6 am. - and sure enough, they had KMR, so after a race over to their house in Penfield, I got the milk ready in the dropper, plopped this little one on my chest and fed away.  I pray I’ve done the right thing, and given it the right amount.  Now what am I gonna do…………. Here I have Brady in my bathroom, and now this.  I need a foster!!!!!

By the way, Brenda told me she is feeding at least six cats out back in her yard, and none are spayed and neutered.  I told her to look around her yard for any more kittens, and to please call Lollipop Farm to see if they can help her with trapping and spaying/neutering the cats.  I am sure it won’t happen, so I will have to help her.  Her boyfriend got on the line and said he would trap and release them somewhere else, he doesn’t like them.  I asked him for compassion until we take care of this kitten situation.

Oh Lord.  I know for sure I will go out and buy this very expensive replacement milk formula to keep on hand in case this type of emergency situation happens again.  And I must get this breeding population of cats under control.  Anyone game to help with trapping?

Have a good day, and please, share this - maybe someone will open up their hearts, homes, and wallets to help.  I can't do it all by myself.   Thank you!

WILDERNESS

"This is the wilderness time,
 when every path is obscure
 and thorns have grown around the words of hope.
 
This is the time of stone, not bread,
 when even the sunrise feels uncertain
 and everything tastes of bitterness.
 
This is the time of ashes and dust,
 when darkness clothes our dreams
 and no star shines a guiding light.
 
This is the time of treading life,
 waiting for the swells to subside and for the chaos to clear.
 
Be the wings of our strength, O God,
 in this time of wilderness waiting."

3 comments:

  1. Hey Janine, I know for a fact that you can get KMR or a similar kitten milk replacer in most of the Tops supermarkets, right over in the pet aisle where they display all the miscellaneous pet items. It's the canned version, no mixing required, and it really is not expensive. Hoping that you will find someone who can help, because this little one really should be fed every couple hours. I think we pet parents should be able to get FMLA time off from work for this! Have you tried the rescue that helped you with Bittens? Or is that the one who didn't return the calls :-(((. I will say a prayer for this baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will speak to you privately for the name of the rescue that has failed to answere, I don't want to waste preciouse time when I am in a similar situation by calling them. my normally grumpy in the morning husband sprang into action when your name came up on his phone j as luck would have I was also up this morning, but rest assured you can call us anytime, we know it will be for an animal in distress. Hubby said, "you gotta hand it to her, she breaks her back for this, who else cares the way Janine does" all my love and thank you for posting pics of the delicate little baby probably needs some pent avid too, thank,god kind lady gave her to you, prayers for her survival and big thanks to Kings working quietly in the background for the kitty's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitten looks to be about 3 weeks old not newborn. But still neefs formula. Also needs liwuid antibiotic for upper respiratory which the goopy eyes are from.

    ReplyDelete