Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I Did It!


Not only did I do my route - all 14 locations, where I feed an average of 5 cats at each spot, in under an hour this morning, but I managed to trap two kitties on my own also!  And those were done in the first 10 minutes!  My first trapping was going to be at the 7th Street location, where there is a very sick long haired black kitty, who is losing his fur quickly, and losing a lot of weight.  He has not been there in the past few days and he was not there this morning, so I hurried to put food down for Baby Mama there, and the two other regulars, and sped off to place the trap at my first Parsells location, where Buddy, the kitty that 'belongs' to Brenda across the street (her b-friend doesn't like cats, therefore none are ever in the house - ever).  Buddy I had neutered for Brenda a year prior.  Anyways, there are two tabbies, one long haired, that hang there also.  I had to get Buddy away from the set trap as he would go in there, so I picked him up and placed him in a carrier I had, and went off to do the next stop just a few houses down.  I came back and had the shorter haired tabby in the trap, not sure of its sex.

Then onto get the elusive Mr. Grey Tux on Short.  Laura has not been successful at getting him with her drop trap because MGT is now leary of traps.  But he has a real limp on his front left paw, his skin is lumpy and scabby, and he also has now started to trust me enough to pick him up.  And lo and behold, he let me this morning and I placed him in a large carrier.  So, there, I got two.  I will be bringing both to the clinic for spay and/or neuter, and medical attention.   I think I will call MGT Grady.  I know a boy named Grady who's family adopted Harold!  So, I love that name!

I also saw Neck Wound Kitty on Stout run into the garage there, and will try to focus on him next week, although there are still several others, including a few females - I believe - that need to be spayed.

I think about this:  I am doing a favor for the city by caring for these cats, yet the city never rewards me for it.  But I should be rewarded for it!  No, I am not a 501c3 - which are able to receive grants, and more tax deductible donations, but I should be rewarded somehow!  I go through 20 pounds of food a day, and it costs me $50 per cat at the clinic to spay/neuter.  Whats wrong with this picture???

Before I forget, I like to share encounters with the street people I run into on the streets.  On Sunday, I was on Second Street and feeding Mr. Tuffy behind Paul's (the kind black man who allows me to feed and shelter behind his house) and I went back to the truck to go to the next spot and this black woman started to walk toward me.  I could see she must have come from the bootlegger's house a few houses down from Pauls.   I asked  "Are you OK?" (it was 5:30 am. and she looked disheveled).  As she got really close to me, she said "No!  I need a drink!"  As I looked at her, I could see the whites of her eyes were pure yellow.  Now I am not expert, but that's a clear indication that she could have some kind of liver disease, including hepatitis, and cirrhosis.  She then said "I know who you are, you feed the cats." and I laughed and told her I didn't have any booze, but she could have some of the water in my jug.  She laughed and walked away.  I thought to myself, how sad.   How bad can you have it where you are dying, and still need that drink.

Anyways, on to seize the day!  I  hope you have a good one!

"No one has ever made himself great, by showing
how small someone else is."

3 comments:

  1. Great Job Janine!! Two more not populating the streets!! You're on a roll girl!! Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff Jay, you go girl, we luv you for it :)

    ReplyDelete