Monday, June 16, 2014

Dear Oh Deer...


My weekend didn't start out the greatest.  I was headed home from my usual 7 am Saturday morning grocery shopping, winding my way down through the bay on Empire Boulevard , when I spotted a dead deer at the side of the road, one which was not there when I passed through forty five minutes prior.  As I went past the deer, and the debris in the road, I thought I saw a movement.  I quickly made a U-turn, and pulled up in front of it.  As I got out of the car, I saw the poor animal moving.  Blood was coming out of its mouth, and I couldn't see its other injuries.  I immediately bent down and started to gently stroke it.  I then called 911 and begged for an officer to come, through my sobbing.  Its so heartbreaking to see an animal suffering, and we all know we can't just take a deer to emergency services.  Cars whizzed by for the few minutes I saw there with that deer, gently stroking it, telling it that everything was going to be OK, listening to the cars whiz by, knowing this animal was frightened to death.  A kind man stopped briefly, and asked if everything was OK, I thanked him and said police were coming.  Another man pulled over up ahead and walked back just in time for the police to arrive.  Two kind strangers.  As I got up to talk to the cop, I gave the deer one last pet, as the officer told me I had to leave.  I knew what he was going to do, as I've seen it before.  I drove away, weeping for the poor animal's short life, knowing its soul would soon be in heaven.

Now here's the kicker.  As I drove up the hill, through clouded eyes, I spotted a chipmunk who came out onto the four lane highway, scrambling, not knowing which way to run, and I hit it.  I could feel its tiny body under my tire.  If that wasn't the topping on the cake.  I managed to drive the rest of the way home, knowing I was going to call my mother, who always says something to soothe me in stressful times.  I could barely function at that moment, but knew I had to get over it because life goes on and I had a busy day.  But such a tragedy.  One that happens nearly every minute of every day around the world, an animal being hit.  How could someone just drive off knowing the animal was alive, if they did at all.  The person that hit it left their rear view mirror in the road too.  My mother always tries to see both sides, as I try to do, that maybe it was an old person, and they were just as devastated, and didn't know what to do, so they continued on.

My day turned out to be much better.  But that's a life moment I can't soon forget.

Both mornings were great as I had two friends come with me on my morning feeding rounds.  Tracy my neighbor, who has fostered a few kittens for me in the past, and Sunday Sheryl.  I think it was an eye opener for Tracy to see just how many cats are waiting for me each morning at each location.  And how much food I go through to feeding these hungry animals.  I appreciate both girls so much, Tracy has donated funds for spay/neuter, and Sheryl always brings a bag of cat food with her each Sunday.  I can't tell you how much it means to me, just to have them ride with me, or donate to me.  Its validation that what I do - feeding, sheltering and spaying these homeless city cats - is all worth it.

Thanks for listening to my sad story, and have a GREAT day.

"Don't ruin today by worrying about yesterday's problems."

4 comments:

  1. Feel for you J I would have had to take the day off and get under the duvet after that one. Sad .:(. But thank you for stopping and calling the cops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrible day for you Janine, but road kill is food for some one else that is hungry, only way to look at it my friend..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs! I had a deer run into me when traveling through Canada. The damage to my car didn't matter - I couldn't stop thinking that I killed an animal. Ruined the rest of our vacation. It sends shivers down my spine every time I pass an animal that has been hit. I wish our state had more money so they could humanely remove them from the road in a timely manner. Just stay focused on all the good you do for some many of God's creatures. -carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a heartbreaking start to your day, I feel for you.
    It's sad that if you ask other drivers, most of us have at least one of these heart breakers.
    But don't ask.....better not to carry more sorrow.
    The cats we help appreciate it and need us to be strong enough to keep going.
    Thank you for all you do! Including baring your heart to your readers, that takes guts.

    ReplyDelete