Monday, June 9, 2014

Lions, Tigers and Skunks, Oh My!


As I approached the corner vacant house on Central this morning, to refill some food dishes that I fill on a daily basis for at least four cats that depend on it, I saw something black and white.  And I knew, it was a skunk.  I backed away, verrrrrry slowly, and went to the back of the house, where there is a second porch, to replenish those bowls.  I thought, at least the kitties will get something here.  As I came down the steps from that end of the house, the skunk was approaching me.  I made a quick movement toward it to scare it, but it wouldn't budge.  Finally, it ran in some hedges, just a foot or so from the steps, and I looked around trying to find something to get it out of there, because I didn't want it to eat the cat food, but also didn't want it to spray me!


I've had some experience with skunks before.  My late father, when I was very young, had a small farm with a horse, a dog and many other small animals, which included a skunk!  I believe the skunk was 'deskunked' of its smell, because the skunk was in the house at times.  This I can remember.  Not much else of my childhood do I, but these memories, of animals, I do.   Also, a few years back, when my 90+ dog Thunder was alive, I went to let him out early one morning, out on to the porch, and a skunk was waiting for him, and got him good.  I had the door propped open because I feed a stray cat in my neighborhood, and have for many years now.  I've had possum, raccoons, and now skunks on my porch!  Anyway, it was a nightmare.   After many shampoos, I went to Wegmans that morning to get more stuff to treat, like tomato juice, which I had heard helps, and as I walked around, I noticed people turning, and whispering to each other.  Lo and behold, I smelled like a skunk!  That was something.  I mentioned to the coffee lady there, and told her the story, and she laughed and said, we thought so. 

The skunk this morning wound off sauntering off in the tall grass and hopefully did not turn back for the food.  I continued on down Central, where there was a shooting last night, which resulted in death.  This occurred just a block from where I have a feeding station and shelter.  Its always unnerving to wake and watch the news and hear about this kind of thing in the area where you have to venture out to.  Especially when they haven't caught the perps.  But, I was safe (Mom), and nothing out of the ordinary happened this morning.

On Friday, it turns out that I trapped someone else's cat (Redmund - who's name is really Jerold), and he lived in the house across the street on Hayward.  Turns out that the people who got him from Rochester Animal Services had him microchipped, so he was identified when he went in for surgery, that he didn't need (he also was not eartipped) that morning and the woman was notified.   She then called me and I wound up taking Jerold back to her that evening.  Uggh.  A wasted spot.  I asked her to please get Redmund a collar - I told her I would get her one - and leave it on her doorstep.  She said he kept getting out.  She wanted to know how to keep him in.  I said open a window or two to let him view the outdoors, keep his litter box clean, and keep fresh food and clean water in his bowl, throw a few toys around.  That would do the trick.  I hope she does. 


Otherwise, Laura was able to trap Tuffy for me.  He was neutered, and received a shot of penicillin.  He also tested negative for leukemia, which I thought might be positive, but he was negative.  If he turned out positive, I would have had a good reason to have him put to sleep.  He has been through so much in the years I've been feeding him.  So many injuries.  It was hard to let that old boy out the next day.  I also trapped a male tabby, who also was let back out.  I would have given anything to get Tuffy off the street permanently.  But I am running out of foster folks. 

That's it in a nutshell.  I wish you all a great day!

"No matter how hopeless or bleak things appear, the moment always comes when suddenly our spirit revives, and hope is reborn. That is why we must never give up."

5 comments:

  1. Good job with taffy, he will be feeling better than he has in a long while I betcha !

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If he turned out positive I would have had a good reason to pur him to sleep". This sounds like you are looking for a reason to put him to sleep. Why? Because in your mind he'd be better off dead? Strange, but I doubt he feels that way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are entitled to your opinion. However , Janine is the person who wakes up at 3:45 AM daily to feed, shelter and fix these abandoned, neglected, and injured felines with her own money. So please do not judge her decisions and opinions unless you walk in her shoes.

      Thank You

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your skunk story, Janine. When I lived in Vt (the skunk capital of the world), someone gave me a recipe called "skunked dog wash." Funny! I don't know how you can go out each day to some of those scary neighborhoods, but your courage is inspiring. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am positive Janine would not ever look for a reason to put a cat to sleep. I do have to agree that if a cat is positive and feral that it is the responsible thing to to to put it to sleep. I have fostered positives and watched them suffer and die one by one it is not a pleasant way to die especially for a feral and is risking infecting man others. That is not the right thing in my opinion. Julie

    ReplyDelete