Thursday, June 26, 2014

Burn Out




Monkey (top) and Sandy


I am taking a break today.  I don't have a lot to say, its the weather, its me being tired after seeing the Doobie Brothers in concert last night and not getting home until 10 pm!  WHOA!  Way past my bedtime!  :(  I even missed Peter Frampton, the headliner, just to get home so I could get some sleep before I had to get up at 3:45 am. to wake myself enough to leave the house at 5 am. to feed all the homeless kitties.  And then on top of that, one turns around and attacks me.  I will be very leery of that one in the future.  He gouged my leg this time, but the next time it could be my face that he goes after with those razor sharp claws.  

I leave you with pictures - Monkey, and Big Red - Big Red then, and NOW.  Look how he has thrived!

My friends Maree and Joe adopted from the streets after I rescued them.  Monkey came from Second, was a young girl with a curly que tail, thus, Monkey.  Sandy was called Big Red for years - I've fed Big Red for years on Garson Avenue and he finally learned to trust me, and then I knew he was ready.  He had many injuries throughout those years, so I am glad I could get this senior kitty off the street and into a loving home.  Look at these babies now!!

It Matters To Me

Author Unknown
As I walked along the seashore
This young boy greeted me.
He was tossing stranded starfish
Back to the deep blue sea.
I said "Tell me why you bother,
Why you waste your time this way.
There's a million stranded starfish
Does it matter, anyway?"

And he said, "It matters to this one.
It deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one.
I can't save them all I know.
But it matters to this one,
I'll return it to the sea.
It matters to this one,
And it matters to me."

I walked into the shelter,
The owner greeted me.
She was helping Misty learn to trust.
She was struggling I could see.
I said, "Tell me why you bother,
Why you waste your time this way.
Misty's only one of thousands,
Does it matter anyway?"


And she said, "It matters to this one.
She deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one.
I can't save them all I know.
But it matters to this one,
I'll help her be what she can be.
It matters to this one,
And it matters to me.

Have a great day everyone!


2 comments:

  1. Aaww, there he is Big Red, and his girl friend the veryretty Monkey whom he adores . Big Red/sandy is an awesome cat, so awesome that sometimes I feel guilty that I am denying someone else of his love, he just has so much of it and is as smart as they come.Still it delights me to have him, especially to know that his life has not been wasted, yes he mattered to Janine and he matters very much, to me as does Monkey. Unless you have. "Bean" cat, you would not know of their unique relationship they form with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine,

    What a great poem! It surely depicts your daily mission of saving Rochesters Homeless Cats One At A Time. Karon and I ,a few years ago spent hours on a South Carolina beach putting beached Starfish back into the Ocean believing we were making a difference, while people walked by thinking we needed some tender loving Psychiatric care. Anyways thank you for all you do daily for these defenseless felines

    Walt & Karon Simoni.

    ReplyDelete