Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Over the Hump Day

I don't have a lot to report today.  I felt so discouraged this morning.  My mood usually picks up halfway through my route because I know I am almost done, and on my way home to ready myself for work and forget all the sadness I've seen that morning.  But I recalled what I saw at my 5th spot, on Hayward - two tiny baby red kittens on the sidewalk in front of the house where I feed the adult cats.  They quickly ran into the bushes as I got out of the car.  They could be held easily in the palm of my hands.  They were SO tiny.  THAT breaks my heart.  Knowing these innocent and vulnerable little bits of beating hearts are where they are - outside - vulnerable to anything that happens to them.  And so much could.  I know there is a third kitten, a black one, but I didn't see that one when I pulled up.  Just those two little red ones.  I managed to get a photo of a cat there that was waiting for me to fill the empty bowls with food and water.  I do believe this is the mom.  I must figure out something soon, for all of them.


As I have said before, and lately, this is a very hard thing to do each and every day.  I know they depend on me for food and water, I believe many would suffer greatly if I stopped feeding them, and sheltering them in the winter months.  I struggle every week trying to come up with money for their food.   I know I can't depend on people for donations, people have their own lives, their own charities that they give to, I get occasional donations from people, and thank you for that, but I am spending close to $125 dollars on average per week feeding and sometimes fixing these cats.  Its killing me.   I am just me, alone doing this, and its hard.  Sorry to be a downer today, but seeing these kittens is so disheartening to me, it really makes me wonder why I do what I do, when it will never end.  :(

6 comments:

  1. Why don't you put up your donation link again.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you put up your donation link again.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Janine...don't get down. You do so much good for these kitties. You just can't do it all. I'd take those kittens in a heartbeat if I had an extra room. Can't someone find space in their home/heart to take those little kittens in and foster them? Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Click on the DONATE button at the top right side of this page!! Whatever you can do helps Janine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all feel your pain Janine for the kiitys. As Becky Robinson of Alley cats says, we can never adopt our way out of this. For the lucky few that cross your path tho, you find wonderful homes for them and forever change their life. This is a so and protracted project that we are working at.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bathrooms work great for small kittens like this. Less destructible than other rooms too. And everyone has one, and hopefully not everyone's bathroom already is filled!
    Large dog crate for small feral kittens like this is actually ideal for starting them out, when they may need to be forcibly handled for the first few days. So anyone who has room for a dog cage could take them if they were willing and had the time. if they are really young it shouldn't take hardly ay time at all till they love people.
    Crates/cages available if anyone offers that they can take them but needs a cage. I wish i could janine but you know my situation. It is still hard to resist.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete