Wednesday, December 26, 2018

FEED A CAT FOR CHRISTMAS! DECEMBER 21ST! JANE M!

Thank you JANE M.!!  Jane made a donation to help feed the cats  during this holiday season in honor of her beloved Milo.  Jane, your gift made such a difference to over 100 cats in the Beechwood section of Rochester and THEY sure do appreciate it.   Sometimes I come upon cats that are so hungry, they can’t even wait for me to pour the dry food.  Others could care less about the dry food and only want the wet.  There is a black cat on Melville that won’t even let me get the wet food out of the container its in, it sticks his head right in.  It would bite me finger if it were in the way!  They LOVE LOVE LOVE the wet food.  I thank those of you that have made donations of wet food in the BIG cans.  They make such a difference in opening the cans to prepare for the next mornings meal.  (the food is ready to go in the morning) – It takes 12 LARGE cans to fill 6 large containers vs. 36 SMALL cans.  That’s a lot of cans to open, and rinse.  So thank you all for your food donations.  I spend nearly $150 per week on the dry AND wet food – so food donations are precious to me.  Not to mention hauling all that cat food into the house after purchase!   Thank you again Jane!




If you will recall, we've rescued three kittens - older kittens, that came from a Walworth barn.  We named them Bunny, Thumper and Noel.  Thumper has been adopted, and...  so far, so good.  All three were very frightened, born outdoors, were close to feral, and we are all working on them to socialize them a bit more. Noel is a bit of a challenge.  Foster Sue has Bunny, who is coming around more and more, and I have Noel, who is being fostered by Melissa, whom I relieved for a few days - I needed to get to know Noel.  Black, soft as a bunny fur...  and frightened to death.  He shakes.  I hold him as often as I can, but he is so scared, I don't know what I should do.  I don't think he has come out of hiding to eat or drink either.  He just hides.  I have contemplated returning him to the barn, I don't think he will ever get over this fear.  No aggression, just fear.  Any suggestions?




New picture of Holly!  She is a beauty.  She is ready for immediate adoption!  Guess what else, we have five new kittens thanks to Kristin's kindness in offering to take them from a woman who needed help.  Kittens are from a female cat that is pregnant with her third litter.  We WILL be getting momma spayed, for sure.  These kittens are from her last, second litter.   Pictures and names coming soon.

I thought I would share my post from this date from 2010, when I first started writing this blog.  Thought you might enjoy.  

Happy Boxing Day y'all!  :) 



SUNDAY, DECEMBER 26, 2010

Boxing Day

That's what day it is in Australia! Well, Christmas has come and gone for another year. I had a great Christmas, I especially love Christmas Eve day. I think the older I am getting, the more sentimental I am getting, and appreciative of my friends and family. I think if someone asked me my favorite day of the year, its Christmas Eve Day. I treated all the babies I feed to some extra amount of wet food, their favorite, and what they really need in this kind of cold weather. I am so thankful for the donation that the Hilda, the 96 year old woman gave to me. She asked Mary to go out and purchase the food for me and I am thankful that Mary chose to buy wet food for most of it. Thank you Mary and Hilda!! I also received a monetary donation from a very very nice girl whom I have not met yet, but can't wait to. Her name is Pat, and she is a kind kind soul. Thank you so much Pat! Talk about kindness, and giving from the heart. That kind of kindness just overwhelms me. This morning, as I went to feed at my second stop on Third Street, I heard a soft whimpering/barking and went to investigate. I found two dogs in the back yard of the next street over, the one closest to the fence being a pit bull. I am sure the other one is too but I couldn't tell in the dark. I could make out the nipples underneath her belly, and knew she was a breeder. There were a few dog houses in the back, but I didn't see food or water. Not sure of the situation - the house looked almost boarded up from the back. So I drove around to the front, and there was a car or truck parked in the driveway. I did report it to 911 but they told me nothing could be done today because animal control was closed, and of course the Humane Society has two officers that cover five counties, and my call wouldn't or couldn't be answered for days at least, if at all. I will call again tomorrow, which the operator did urge me to do. You can tell, even though they aren't allowed to show their emotions, she WANTED me to call back in the morning to re-report it.
"Push yourself because no one else
is going to do it for you."



No comments:

Post a Comment