Monday, May 14, 2018

Stress City!

Man oh Man!  What a morning!

First off, let the auction begin!  :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1881489785216185.1073741831.534365986595245&type=3

Check it out on the link above!  So many cool things!  Thank you so much to those that donated.  I am beyond grateful.

So, I was given four spots at the clinic this morning to bring in four cats off the street to get spayed and neutered.  This is when I have to set four traps around the locations of where I go each morning, 19 different locations to be exact.  I place a smelly tuna inside the trap, and when they go in and step on a trip plate, the door snaps and closes them in.  The cats are quite frightened to you don’t want to leave the traps unattended too long.  They calm down immediately when you place a blanket over the trap to make it quiet and dark for them.

Now, knowing that I have to set four traps is stressful enough, let alone still feed at those locations.  So you withhold the food, and set the trap, drive off, set another, and then another, and then another.  At one location there was a raccoon so I had to skedaddle him off the porch, up a tree he went, and I had to have faith that it wouldn’t go back on the porch and go in the trap.  Waste of tuna, and time.  I knew there was a beautiful red male there that walks right up onto this porch of a vacant house, and its quite friendly, but ‘felt’ like he was unneutered.  In a perfect world/day, I would rescue this guy.

Melville Red
I had Kings sit on the front porch of a vacant house on Webster Ave. where I set a trap behind the house.  Crazy Marilee has been known to close the trap if I am not there, so I had him sit there to alert me via cell phone if she came walking by.  She didn’t, and voila, got one pretty grey/white boy.  I think it’s a boy.  And boy have I gotten THAT wrong before!  Oh, PS, I took all three black kittens to vet on Thursday where they confirmed the sex of them.  Mookie is a girl, Dixie is a girl,  and Bear if a boy.  All three are spoken for and will be adopted when they are a little bigger.

Ferndale Crescent TNR
I raced back to the Melville spot before I headed over to the ‘back nine’ (across Goodman) and sure enough, there was the sweet red boy inside the trap.  I felt so bad.  But off we went to check on the other two.  One was Parsells #2 where they JUST WONT GO IN.  BUT I know there are unneutered cats there!  I decided to leave that one til the end of my route.  It would still be semi dark.  I ran back to the other trap and they are wise there now also.  (Melville #3).  I took the trap, put the food down, and whisked the empty trap off to Central between 5th and 6th streets.  I know there are fluffy black cats that I see in the dark there and was hoping to get one of them.

Nothing.  I check on it after I finished feeding on the ‘back nine’, and raced to Parsells to check on that, nada, nothing, zippo.  And that was two hours of my time this morning.  Two cats, two hours. I always feel so bad when I have to call the clinic to tell them that I could not fill the slots they allotted me.  And Mom set her trap for the mother cat of the black kittens out in Webster, and they are on to her also.  It’s a sad feeling, knowing you could be trapping some pregnant or very viral males out there, and you fail at it. 



SAFFY

HERMIE

CONNOR

POPPY

PARSLEY


I have four kittens left.  Poppy, Saffy, Tucker and Buster.  All others will be adopted eventually - Parsley, Hermie, Buffy and Connor are still up for adoption.  All are still coming out of their shells so to speak (Hermie, ha ha!)  (Hermit Crab?) J

That’s all I have time for today folks.

More tomorrow.

Have a great day!

"Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen."

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Janine! Could you please give an update on Connor's health? Thanks.
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete