Monday, May 7, 2018

One Little Kitten, Sittin' in a Tree, K I S S I N G


Man oh Man, I need a vacation after this weekend!  First, some notes from last week…

POPPY
There is a red cat on Garson that greets me every morning.  He used to be on Baldwin and Grand, but somehow made his way down to my Garson location, which is an entire large block, but its also kitty corner to the next block.  I've been feeding him for several years now, at both locations.  He still drives me insane with his sense of urgency to eat.  I used to think it was worms, so I treated him for that, but it didn’t do the trick.   I tried to trap him two winters ago, and when I let him out of the carrier in my bathroom, he flipped out.  He went berserk like I’ve never seen a cat.  First time I ever had to put a cat back on the street when I was going to rescue it.  Broke my heart, but he would have broken windows and mirrors, for sure.  Anyway, the situation with this cat is sad.  He has a deep deep sound coming from his chest.  A rattling.  Almost like a human has asthma?  I have not been around anyone that has had it but I think that is the sound they would make.  Its been going on for a while.  I don’t know how to treat him on the street.  Anybody have an answer?

Dixie, Tucker and Baby Buster!

On Niagara and Central, there is a house behind where I have a shelter.  The other morning I pulled in, and realized the door was open to this house which overlooks the area where I park.  I got nervous, as I do if someone sees me, at this time of the morning, and sees what I am doing.  I’ve had many folks yell out to me to stop feeding the ‘raccoons and rats’.  I thought, now I’ve blown my cover and they will come over and destroy my shelter.  Needless to say, my fears were unfounded.  I said hello to the woman standing there, and told her what I was doing.  She said, just minutes ago two raccoons ran across the road from this way.  I told her they won’t hurt you, they are afraid of us.  She said ‘Ma’am I’m afraid of squirrels!’  We sort of had a laugh and I asked her name, Taynika, and told her I was going to write about her in my blog!  She laughed.  I told her what I did and she said it was very nice of me to something like that.  She said I was very courageous.  I still have to leave her a business card in her mailbox as I told her I would.  I told her to use my number if she saw anything unusual, like someone tearing down my shelter!  Or a pregnant cat!  She was a nice lady and I am glad to have finally met her.



Speaking of pregnant cats, so this morning, I am sitting at the light at Goodman and Ferndale waiting to cross over to do the ‘back nine’.  I see a lump up ahead in the road on Pennsylvania, just before Sixth Street.  I thought it was a raccoon.  I went through the light with my eyes fixated, and saw a cat walk over to the lump.  As I got closer, I realized what was going on.  It was a male cat, on top of a female cat, doing YOU KNOW WHAT!  They then darted to the side of the road, and the female began rolling on her back.  She was in obvious heat.  I drove away from there very slowly, realizing this would be another pregnancy, and feeling very sad.  I guess at some point, if I ever get spots at the clinic, I will set traps there.  But its not my usual location, so would need a spotter there.  If anyone can help with this that would be great.  You would have to sit in the dark and watch the trap.

My house was busy this weekend with people coming over for meet and greet with the babies, and I also got Onyx adopted!!  Woo hoo!!!!  Five kittens adopted, four left!  J  Onyx went to a great home, and come to find out, his new family is related to the couple that adopted Dasher! 

Dasher a/k/a Bogey

So we are keeping it all in the family.  Onyx, now named Kenny, had a rough first night.  I liken it to the fact that he probably realized - uh oh, I'm in this new home, the human that I knew left me here and is never coming back, and now i am with total strangers in a totally strange environment!  I think I was right, because after the first night of hiding, he came out Sunday morning and started to cuddle with Brett on the sofa.  Waiting for report from Sherryl (no relation to Sunday Sheryl!) on how he did last night.  thanks once again to Melissa for her awesome foster ability.  Couldn't do it without ya Melissa!

I am getting good reports on Stripey and Swirly (Daisy and Donald) as they are coming more and more out of their shell.  Still scared, but loving their new place.  They are playing and romping around and having a good old time!  Thanks once again to Sue for her awesome foster ability.  And for her thumb that Stripey bit!  😡

Buffy, Parsley and Hermie are still guarding the business they are staying at.  And what a wonderful little home they have there.  Thanks again to Carol who opened her shop up for them.  She misses the kittens, but found time to stop by yesterday for a quick visit.  \

There is so much more but so little time.  Have a great day all!

Don't forget the Online Auction on Facebook beginning on May 10th.  Lots of GREAT stuff!  



 "I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars. ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment