Thursday, May 3, 2018

TGIT

DIXIE says Good Morning!
 (my cell phone camera is broken, takes terrible pics)

Crazy.

Life is crazy.  So are people.  I know I am.

For those of you that are new to reading this boring dribble I write nearly daily, I feed cats in the public market area of Rochester, known as the Beechwood section.  I have 19 different locations that I provide housing, food and water for many cats.  At each stop, I can count at least 5 on average.  There are some spots that I can count 8.  Its a lot of cats regardless.



I started doing this many years ago on my way in the early morning, to the public market to do some shopping.  Saw eyes illuminating in the dark when my car headlights flashed upon them in a vacant lot here and there.  I went back to put food down.  They ate it.  I came back the next day and refilled.  They ate it.  And the vicious cycle began.

I now not only provide food water and shelter, but I try to spay and neuter as many cats as I can.  Its hopeless to me sometimes, but its a GREAT feeling to rescue those that I can.  Last year, I rescued 122 cats and kittens altogether, and found most great homes.  Some were so sick or injured I had to have them euthanized.  I would never let an animal suffer under my watch.


I go out in all sorts of weather - be in rain, thunder and lightning, snow or blizzards.  I have to do it in the dark because the neighborhoods are not the best, and thats when everyone is sleeping.  I don't want people seeing what I am doing or they will come over to investigate, and most times destroy my shelters.  So cat lady is my name, and 3:45 a.m. is my game.  :)

I have done this out of my own pocket for SO many years now.  I got my 5021c3 a few years ago thanks to pro bono work done by Ross Lanzafame, Esq. of Harter, Secrest & Emery, my alma mater...  and am so thankful to him for that.  So now I am able to acquire donations from stores, right now Walmart, but I get mostly dog food and litter from them.  A scrap of cat food, at the most.  There are people out there that religiously either have cat food sent to me once a month, or drop off on my porch.  I get very few financial donations, like the big guys do (there are a few 'big guys' (GRASP, Keller's Kats, Habitat for Cats, Rescued Treasures) in Rochester, not many though - but we need more like them!) so much of it still comes out of my own pocket.

I spend on average $150 per week on wet and dry food.  Feeding 100 cats a day costs money.  Spay and neutering these cats costs money.  I am thankful to those that do donate.  Every dollar makes a difference.



I can always use headlamps, batteries, 2-gallon zip lock bags, kitten KMR formula, Royal Canin baby food, wet and dry, and Kittn' Kaboodle.  Any Purina product.  I try to feed them HALFWAY decent food.  They will not eat the off label brands, barn cat food stuff.  They have become acclimated to eating one kind pretty much.  Plus, its hard enough staying healthy on the street.  I don't want to contribute to it by giving them really cheap food.  and their little bonus is the wet food.  They LOVE the wet food.  Although they really don't like the cheap food like Walmart Special Kitty food either.  They have become a bit snobby!  I use large yogurt containers to pour it from, and never have enough of those.

What I DON'T need are towels, or blankets.  Many well meaning folks leave them for me, but I just can't use, and don't have enough space to keep them.   Same with plastic containers.  I have enough of those also.  I can ALWAYS use tarps but they have to be dark green, or dark camoflauge green.  They have to blend in with nature.  I need those in small sizes, and giant size.  I am always trying to update the shelters which are built with totes or wooden huts, with boards over those, and tarps over those!  And secured with heavy rocks and bricks.  I also don't need straw. I do sometimes, but not now.

I've gone on long enough here.  Sorry.

Buffy's babies are coming to spend their life with me today - ha!  Life.  UNTIL THEY ARE ALL ADOPTED!  :)  Weaning them from mom is sad, but must be done.  I am sure its going to be a tough day for Carol, their foster mom since birth, so say a prayer for strength today for Carol, AND Buffy!  Good job Momma Carol! And Momma Buffy!   I have a great space for them in my home, and will care for them like a second mom.  I have a lot of applications for these kitties, and must pick the right fit for each one.  Its a difficult thing to do really.  They are like our own children.  We love them so much.

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment