Thursday, February 22, 2018

Back in the Saddle Again




Well, for all my bragging about never being sick, I got sick.  I hadn't been sick in well over five years, so I thought I was invincible, and did my share of bragging about it, even offering advice on vitamins that I take to those that had been sick.  

But, I still went out to feed the cats at 4 am.  I am not saying that to brag.  I'm saying that because I have no back up and I am not going to allow any cat to go a day not eating, not on my watch.  I literally had to drag myself out to the car - thank God for Kings - he did most of the stops - half arsed - hahhahaha, while I stayed behind the wheel.   I barked orders as to how many dishes there were to fill, make sure to fill the water, etc.  He does not know my stops, but again, I am thankful I had someone to bend down and pour at each of the 19 locations.

This morning was tough.  I felt better, after having slept most of the day, but getting in and out of the car was brutal.  Its low to the ground, so I  have to swing my legs over to steady them, and then lift myself, which is not an easy feat, when you are also lugging a 2 gallon bag of dry food, a large bucket of wet food, and a five gallon container of water.  So speaking of vehicles, I will be saying goodbye to my sweet Jeepster, when I remove the plates, and empty the last of the contents of 12 years’ worth of travels.  I also am in the midst of getting another vehicle, a friend has offered me his vehicle for cheap, and BOY am I grateful for this!  This would have been a major, tough ordeal for me had this not fallen into my lap.  I am also grateful to Walt Simoni who has offered to start a Go Fund Me page to help pay, and care for the vehicle.  I am grateful to many of you that have offered advice on what to do with my Jeep, and others that have suggested where I might start looking at affordable choices in new vehicles.  Its all about – is this new vehicle going to be able to hold ALL the STUFF I have to go out with every day.  The one I am hoping to get seems to fit the bill.   I hope.  I am going to test drive it and look at it this afternoon.



Other than that, Muffin has been a guest in my bedroom since Monday.  He’s a scared little thing, but comes running towards me when I go in the room.  He loves to play.  He gets lonely, so I let a cat or two in with him to spend time.  He gets along with others, I had five cats in there with him this morning all sniffing around, and he does fine – he has a family coming to meet him on Saturday, fingers crossed.

We also have Chewy, Parsley and Hermie to think about. 




Not to mention all the others out there that need homes.  Please consider fostering or adoption.  Here is a great article on fostering, in case any of you wonder what it would be like.

Becoming a foster provider to homeless cats or kittens can be rewarding and fulfilling, and may offer an ideal situation for families who are unwilling or unable to make a long-term commitment to a pet cat.
Many cat rescue groups see finding cat foster homes is a vital part of their work. Sometimes these groups, which rescue cats and kittens from high-kill shelters, don’t actually own facilities or shelters. The foster homes become an important stepping stone from the time the cat or kittens are rescued until they can be permanently placed for adoption.
Before you decide to become a foster provider, it’s a good idea to assess your situation and decide if fostering a cat is really right for you. If you have young children or dogs, or if you work long hours, you may not be able to provide a suitable home for some cats, and fostering a kitten may be nearly impossible. It helps if the whole family is committed to fostering, because each cat might be with you for several months. If you already have a cat, you should make sure its vaccinations are up to date, to guard against exposing it to infectious diseases. It may also be wise to quarantine incoming foster pets until their health can be adequately assessed and they can be tested for infectious diseases like feline leukemia.
Keep in mind that the cats coming to you may have been abandoned by previous owners or may have spent several weeks caged at a shelter. They may be frightened, stressed, or poorly nourished, and will need love and attention to help them become socialized. Some may need to be retrained in using a litter pan or may need to be coaxed to eat. You may also be called upon to administer medicine to a cat with a health problem, or care for an older, special-needs cat with diminished eyesight or mobility.
Before you decide to become a foster provider, find out which costs you will be asked to cover. Some rescue groups work only with people who can afford to “donate” the food and kitty litter used by the foster cat, while others will give you a monthly stipend. Most groups will reimburse you for the cost of any veterinary care that is needed.
In some cases, you may be asked to foster a mother cat with a litter of very young kittens. This is not as much effort as it may seem, because for the first month of the kittens’ life, the mom will do most of the work, nursing and grooming her offspring. Kittens can generally be weaned at eight weeks and separated from their mother shortly after.
One of the greatest challenges is taking in unweaned or orphaned kittens. Not only are newborn kittens fragile and vulnerable, but they’ll be depending on you to take the place of their missing mother. For the first two weeks, before kittens even open their eyes, they are completely helpless. You’ll have to keep them very warm and feed them every two to three hours with a syringe and commercial kitten formula. Mother cats also stimulate the bodily functions of elimination in their kittens by licking the anus and urinary tract opening — you’ll have to replicate this function with a warm, wet terrycloth washcloth.
Fostering a cat comes not only with a time commitment and some amount of expense, but with the risk that you’ll become attached to your foster charges and will feel sadness or a sense of loss when it’s time to let them go. As each one is adopted out, it’s key to remember that you provided a safe haven to a homeless cat that is now going on to a safe and permanent home.
Foster Cats from JanineTheBean Rescue!
Have you ever wanted to do something truly meaningful with your life? Fostering homeless cats for JanineTheBean Rescue is an excellent way to give back to the community, feel good about yourself, and help those less fortunate than you. We need fosters in many states along the eastern seaboard. If you think that you could help, please contact us today!
Our cats come fully vetted, so there is never a concern about bringing disease into your home if you have existing animals. We cover our cats' medical expenses in the event of injury or illness. We also provide advice, support, bedding, food, and a variety of other items as needed. There's no downside to helping out our furry friends.  What are you waiting for?  Fill out our foster application today!
Please Note: JanineTheBean Rescue is a not-for-profit organization managed entirely by volunteers who are committed to providing the animals in our care the best possible alternative to their sad lives on the streets. We must act in the best interest of our animals at all times, and therefore reserve the right to select the home that best meets the current and long-term needs of each of our adoptable animals. We will perform a background check based on the information you have provided. If there are any past or pending allegations, and/or criminal charges pertaining to animal neglect or animal cruelty against you or anyone in your household, you will be immediately disqualified as a potential foster. 


Have a great day!


I am the bridge,
Between what was and what can be.
I am the pathway to a new life.

I am made of mush,
Because my heart melted when I saw you,
Matted and sore, limping, depressed,
Lonely, unwanted, afraid to love.

For one little time, you are mine.
I will feed you with my own hand.
I will love you with my whole heart.
I will make you whole.

I am made of steel.
Because when the time comes,
When you are well, and sleek,
When your eyes shine,
And your heart purrs with joy         
Then comes the hard part.

I will let you go - not without a tear,
But without a regret.
For you are safe forever -
A new cat needs me now.  (meow)

3 comments:

  1. Janine,

    Words cannot express our gratitude to you for all you do for our freezing, homeless and starving felines out there. You really are the Cat Angel!
    I implore everyone out there to please donate whatever you can afford to either through the Go-fund me page that should be up this evening or directly to Janine's existing methods of donation. It is imperative that we all help Janine get a reliable Cat Mobile so she can continue her daily route to feed these precious Kitties that rely on her. Please spread the word that Janine is in need of a replacement Cat Mobile so she can continue her Excellent work.
    Karon and I will send Janine a check for $250.00 to match the first $250.00 donated during this fundraiser. We thank you all in advance for your support of Janine and her Kitties. Lastly, remember your donations are tax deductible because Janine's rescue is a 501c3 not for profit.


    Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Walt !
    I would like to meet you at the next Meow and Chow if I could.
    Ill be selling my second cat stories book at this years fundraiser.
    I really enjoy meeting all Janines fans and supporters.
    Hey J !
    Thanks for including the article and info on the fosters !
    That answered all my questions.
    Hope you feel better !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine,

    I sent you an E-mail about a half hour ago with the link to the Go Fund Me page I created to help you pay for your replacement Cat Mobile. I am certain you want to post it to your Facebook page etc. Good luck!


    Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete