Thursday, October 19, 2017

Zip It!


Photo taken this a.m. on Parsells

Another poor angel, he's been wandering between Parsells and Melville.  I am trying to gain his trust.  I did not know the extent of his injuries until I took this photo.  Too hard to see in the dark, and he didn't allow me to get this close to him previously.   THIS is why these cats need our help.  To shelter them, feed them, protect them.  Which brings me to my next subject.

Central Park yesterday morning
(same location where I rescued the poor soul the last time)

So yesterday I composed a letter that I wanted to leave with the man that owns the vacant lot who I believe is throwing away my stuff, even though I don't believe where I am placing bowls now is even on his property.  In fact, I forgot to do what I was going to do this morning (although its just one of many things I forget to do each day) which was to go to Parsells Avenue, where the vacant lot ends at.  They are 'back to back' vacant lots.  I would like to see who owns the vacant lot on that side.  By the way, thanks to Joel who found out this information for me yesterday about this guy that owns the lot on Melville Street.

I shared the letter on Facebook, wanting to get a final look over from knowledgeable people to see if what I wrote was good.  I received a ton of feedback, for which I am grateful for every bit.  Its always good to have others opinions, as your own are not always right.  Feedback reminds you that when it comes to heated situations, until you can think things through, it is always wise to remain silent.

I had some folks send me different versions of what I should say, and they were good.  Here is one such letter:

Dear Mr Nesbith,

            I am writing this letter as a plea for your help with the feral cat situation near your home. I apologize if I have come across harsh in the past. I hope after you read my letter you will understand the dedication and passion I have for these homeless animals. Many years ago I noticed the City of Rochester had many homeless cats and kittens. I realized quickly the need to control this situation but the city was not willing to help. These animals have been left behind by irresponsible owners over the years.  I started my mission 20 years ago and knew something needed to be done to control the population problem but it needed to be done in a humane way. Over the years I have used my own resources to care for these cats and kittens mainly focusing on TNR-Trap/Neuter/Release.  For the past 20 years I wake up every morning at 3am and head out to feed the homeless stray cats and kittens in the city of Rochester…in the rain, cold, and snow. The RIT students have built beautiful appealing shelters for them in the winter months and many neighbors, family, and friends have donated food and monetary donations to help with their care. Together as a community we have made an impact in controlling the reproduction of these cats.

Feral cats AKA Community Cats can be a benefit to the community. With a caretaker, or a group of caretakers, these cats are humanely trapped, neutered and vaccinated for rabies, returned to their wild home territory, fed daily and monitored. One of their ears is “tipped” to identify that cat as part of a managed TNR community. They will control rodent populations in the area and defend that territory against invading cats. And as fewer kittens are born to the colony, it grows smaller and more manageable.

I understand your frustration. Just like you I wish these cats were not in the streets but in loving caring homes they so deserve. I hope for a day when no cats are left behind.  I would love more than anything to work on a goal or compromise that would benefit both of us and help keep these innocent animals safe.

I truly appreciate your time.

JMW

Now its been suggested to make this letter less accusatory toward this one man.  What if its not him, although I do believe with 98% certainty that it is.  She would like me to add:  'you are receiving this letter because...  someone has been removing my shelters near your property... hoping to make amends with the person doing this by educating them with a reason, and a need for food and shelter...  I will send the man something.  Wish me luck he sees the light.  Otherwise, I will just keep plugging away...  As Tom Petty sang, I won't back down.

In reality, I have no TNR appointments at the clinic until close to mid-November.  Its truly disheartening.  I am actually petting unneutered cats out there.  We have a shortage of vets who are willing to do low cost spay and neuter.  I know you are all thinking Lollypop, but they have a long waiting list.  So does the Rochester Community Animal Clinic.  They are about the only clinics that we have to do this.  Right now, all I am doing is keeping these cats on my route alive by feeding them.  Something must be done about this.

I need to end this here, but I have so much to say...  for now though, I will zip it.


Have a nice day.

“It is not the strongest of the species
that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive
to change.”

No comments:

Post a Comment