Monday, June 27, 2016

Happy Monday!

Birdie Sparky and Poppy when first rescued

Well, what a weekend.

First things first.  For those who have never read this blog.  You are lucky.  Ha ha. 

I’ve been feeding Rochester’s homeless kitties in the Beechwood section for nearly 20 years now.  Its gotten much larger than when I started, now up to – what I can count by seeing the actual cats – 70 kitties each and every single morning.  There isn’t a day that goes by that they are not fed.  I’ve had six mornings off since April 2014 when I took a three day weekend out of town, twice.  I go through 30+ pounds of dry food each morning, and way over a case of wet food (over 40 cans).  Every day.  I go out into these poverty stricken neighborhoods at 4 am., in the dark, when the criminals, and those that don’t care for the cats, are sleeping.  It’s the safest time of the day.  In blizzards, pouring rain, I am out there.  Think of me if you ever wake from your comfy bed at that time.  I am out there.

In the spring and summer months, I trap, neuter and return once a week, two cats each time.  I’ve rescued over 10 cats so far this year and found them homes, since January, although I need to check that.  Could be more.  Last year I rescued and found homes for nearly 80.  All that is funded by my own pocket, and a few individuals that help me out occasionally by sending me a check, or by donating to a clinic where I seek the medical attention of a sick cat, or the clinic where I have these cats spayed and neutered.  I don’t have a 401c3 yet, but am working on it.  I figure it should be set by end of July (fingers crossed).  I am always in need of donations, but they are far and few between.  All of the above costs me well over $10,000 a year.  Well over.  If I never saw another cat again, it would be wonderful, but for now, they are hungry and in need of human help, so I continue to do what I do.  I don’t look for pats on the back, I only strive to get the word out to more people about the problem our city has.  I need help and so do they.  And I write this blog so that people are aware of what is happening under their noses out there.  To show the importance of spaying and neutering.  Its vital.  To be more aware of what is happening in your own surroundings, your own neighborhood. To report neglect, to help by sheltering, feeding and caring for the homeless animals around you.  Its starts with you.  It can end with you, with your help.

Well, I adopted out the last of the five-kitten litter from Karnes Street yesterday.  Momma Penny is still waiting for a permanent home.  The woman that adopted Birdie and Poppy is a sweet woman who fell in love with them instantly, after losing her furry ones recently.  I am thrilled with this adoption, as the last one didn’t go so well with Sparky.  I can only pray Sparky is being loved and cared for.  Actually, I do need to follow up with the woman to be sure she has had him neutered.  She has not been in contact with me and has made it obvious she doesn’t care to.   Its taught me a great lesson, to never hand a cat over to a stranger without getting to know them first.  Never ever again.

Jace (front) Lucy (back)

We now have two new kittens – Jace and Lucy – both rescued from Seventh Street.  Then we have Cookie from Central Park, and Baylee from Bay Street as well.  Baylee’s breathing issues are better, but still there.  Cookie has healed nicely since her surgery where she had pyometra – an infection of the uterus.  Her only problem now is that she doesn’t like  the other cats so she is separated, which makes for a very lonely existence for her being in a room by herself all day.  AND SHE DOESN'T PLAY.  I don't know if she has ever played, ever.  Any suggestions anyone?  I feel so bad for her.  Must find her an only cat home.  Please spread the word.

COOKIE

BAYLEE

That’s it in a nutshell.  Gotta get to work!

Have a great day! 


PS, September 17th, third annual Meow and Chow!~  Details to come soon.  

RESCUER'S ARE ANGELS

Tail tucked between your legs,

Confusion in your eyes 
I know it's hard to understand
That someone heard your cries.

When loneliness is all you know
And pain is all you feel
And no one can be trusted
And hunger's all too real.

That's the time the Lord sees you
And lets you know He's there
That's when He sends His messengers
The hearts that love and care.

Yes, rescuers are angels
You cannot see their wings
They keep them neatly folded
As they do their caring things.

The medicine to make you well,
Good food to make you strong.
And finally to help you learn
That hugs are never wrong.

The perfect place then must be found
The home where you can live
Secure and safe and happy
With joy to get and give.

When you reach your Forever Home,
Your place to feel whole.
The angels smile and off they go
To save another sole.

Author Unknown



2 comments:

  1. Lots of toys for Cookie.... paper balls, pipe cleaners, bird feeder suction cupped to your window. Maybe a catnip mousey too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookie may not have liked the others because she was so sick and needed peace and quiet; give it another try, slowly. As for the girl who won't return your calls. She signed a contract and therefore you have every right to inquire after Sparky. Go over if it comes to that and if she has not followed through on her commitment, you are within your rights to remove him from the home.

    ReplyDelete