Monday, February 23, 2015

Relentless

My George (Jorge - pronounced HOR HAY) :)

It was 8 degrees this morning, with a new fresh coating of snow.  Two more inches to be exact.  The winds are whipping though, so I am sure it must feel like at least minus 8 below.  What do I mean must?  It DOES feel like that.  Its really taken a toll on me so far.  The snow is building up, so I have to bend down now at almost all of my locations, get down on my hands and knees, sometimes on the boards when I lay them down, sometimes directly on the snow - to get inside the shelters to grab the dishes to fill up, and check the towels inside to make sure they are not snow covered, which many are.   At most locations, I have to dig out foot steps into the mountain of snow that the plows have built up on the side of the roads when plowing.  Many a times have I fallen over.  I just get back up and brush myself off and keep on moving.

At my Sixth Street location, there is a terrible stench inside that shelter.  Something is dead in one of the huts, but I can't get to it until after all the snow is cleared.  I hope its not keeping the cats away, although I am sure rats are there when I am not, the paper plates are always missing now.  I know they eat that stuff, so they must haul it off somewhere.  The food is always gone there.  This is where I rescued Sawyer - just two weeks ago?  I lose track of time constantly so forgive me if you are ever scratching your head over my timeframes. Speaking of rats, I had to touch one by the tip of its tail when I discovered it dead inside the Short Street shelter.  I whipped him into the mound of snow - then of course felt bad for doing that (proper burial?) - I know, I am insane.

Mr. FluffyPants!
It was pointed out to me by Kristin - who has been keeping an official count of my rescues - 74 last year, right Kris? - that I have now rescued 7 cats since January - the latest being Sooty!  That is 1 cat per week!  Holy Moly!  Of course I couldn't do that without people offering to foster, and adopt!  So thank you to those that have helped so far this year - Debbi (who still has Elvis and Jelly Bean), Mylene, and Peggy (she just recently had Mr. Fluffypants!).  Speaking of Mr. Fluffypants, he went to his new forever home on Saturday.  I am hoping to get updates on him, soon.  Maybe Kris will chime in here, because it was her friend who adopted him.  :)

Sooty!




Sooty is going to be neutered this morning, and hopefully will have a new home next weekend!  An old co-worker at the law firm that I used to work at is interested.  She has two girls (cats) and is hoping little Sooty will get along.  Actually, Sooty is the sweetest, most gentlest, most loving little kitty.  He escaped a few times already and has no issues with any of my kitties, he just looks around, and says 'yay!  I am out of that room!  I want to explore!' - I love him already.  :(

Thats the scoop for the day.  I need to get to work.

Have a good one!  Spring is just around the corner!


“Anyone can give up, it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.”

4 comments:

  1. Janine,

    Congrats!!!!. on your 74 rescues last year and 7 this year. You are utterly Amazing (Cat Angel)!. On behalf of all your rescued Kitties and their new caretakers Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Janine. A special thanks to Kristin and all the fosters for all they do to give these Kitties a second chance at a life off the mean streets of the Beechwood section of Rochester.

    Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been texting with Sue - Mr. Fluffypants' new mommy. Last night she said he was "playing with his Mousey" and "he talks to me a lot, he loves attention - he is a love!" He has adjusted easily - no hiding under furniture. In fact he was snoozing away on the couch just a few hours after she brought him home. Sue said her husband loves him too. I will update as I get them. But, basically, another spectacularly successful rescue Janine!! From the streets to a forever home in a week! Yay for Mr. Fluffypants!
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine PLEASE BE CAREFUL!! We are not as young as we used to be for sure! Please dont get hurt like I did! Congrats on all your MANY successes! Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooty is looking pretty suave! I'm thrilled that Fluffypants is thriving in his new home. He's such a cutie. Praying for you and the kitties this miserably cold morning! Spring is coming...

    ReplyDelete