Thursday, February 19, 2015

Keep On Moving





So, I did it again.  Meet SOOTY!  Sooty was waiting to be rescued when I pulled up and saw him for the second morning in a row today.  I named this young boy Sooty after a cat I befriended in Australia.  It fits perfectly, and begins with the letter S, which is the first letter of the street I rescued him from - Short Street.   I like to name the cats I rescue after the street they are found on - the first letter of that street, so that I can remember where they came from.  Of course, not all my adopters keep the names, but what are you gonna do.

Sooty is a LOVER boy.  He is young, I would say a year old, and unneutered.  He can't get enough scratching and petting from you.  The second I let him loose in the bathroom, after chowing the food down - boy was he hungry (there was no food left at the shelter this morning - not a drop), he went straight for the litter box and layed in it!  Of course, this was after I pried him from my lap.

He is a beauty, and will be ready for adoption after he is vetted.

We just can't seem to get a break with the weather.  I don't know what the temperature is right now, but its definitely in the single digits, if not below.  We had another 4-5 inches of new snow fall since yesterday, so again with the shoveling.  It took me two hours again this morning to care, and tend to each shelter.  At each one, a little face would peek out from here or there, or one would run from that spot, and wait, until I left, to have its breakfast.  I always pray they go to the water first before that freezes.  Then again, so does the wet food that I set down.  I make sure their towels are dry, the ones that I place so that they can stand on dry land rather than standing in the snow.  Just keeps them a tad bit warmer.

My Brady - rescued from Short Street last year

People ask me how I do what I do every day.  I just don't think about it.  There is the moment of dread, where I know its time to put the clothing on, and the boots,and head out, but as soon as I get to the first spot, I just don't think anymore - I just put one foot in front of the other and keep on moving.

There is really nothing more to report when it is day in, day out, the same misery for these cats.  I saw another kitty that reminds me so much of my George, Sawyer (now named Elvis), and Jelly Bean.  He is another unaltered male that hangs at the Parsells #2 location.  He isn't always there, but he was there this morning, and is just waiting for me to rescue him.  Paulie was there, but I haven't seen Petey at this spot in quite a while.  He is the beautiful red boy that finally began to trust me.

All in all, another productive morning.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!  Spring is just ahead!

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 
'What are you doing for others?'
Martin Luther King


1 comment:

  1. Janine,

    You are a true inspiration. I only wish I had half the determination that you have. There definitely will be a special place in Heaven for you (Cat Angel)!!!. Excellent job as usual with your rescue of Sooty. He is very handsome looks like my Sam that I rescued while on patrol about 8 years ago. I beg your Blog followers to donate whatever they can so you can continue to do the Excellent work you do on a Daily basis. Thank you once again Janine for all your tireless efforts and sacrifices you make for the Kitties.


    Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete