Monday, January 28, 2013

Mr. Whiskers!


Well, I did it. I rescued another sweetie off the street Sunday morning. And its only because someone stepped up, didn't bat an eye to the fact that Mr. Whiskers is an adult cat, but just wanted to get another sweet soul off the street. Thank you Nancy! Nancy, my friend who I met through this blog, has now taken in five kitties from me (I think, right Nance?). One of those kitties, Buster, passed months after she got him due to leukemia, but Nancy kept him and cared for him until his end. Her recent adoption was Jack (I used to call him Morris), from Stout Street. Jack has also tested for leukemia, so Nancy is caring for him in a separate room from the others, but he is loved just as much. I visited with him when I dropped off Mr. Whiskers, and he is such a sweetheart! He is a big boy, a beautiful light red/buff color, and still full of life.

On Saturday morning I wound up tearing apart the shelter on Short Street looking for a dead something. The odor coming from it was gross. The only thing I removed was the dry, yet old towel that lay on the ground for the kitties to stand on when they ate. I added more straw to the hut and totes I have there, and closed it back up. No smell anymore. Must have been the towel for some reason! I hope they begin to use it again, as it is a good shelter for the snow, but not the wind. High winds will pick up the plastic I have covering it, because I can’t weigh it down good enough. Short Street is a connecting street from Sixth Street. On Sixth, this is where Mr. Whiskers hung, but its close enough that if he heard my car door in the morning, he would come racing down the street toward me. Short also has the abandoned house that I rescued Hercules/Cee lo from twice. Speaking of Cee lo, last report from my friend Patty who adopted him is that he is doing great! She lives in the country with her dog Macy, and has a pet door so that Macy can come and go as she pleases, and Patty tells me that after Cee lo checked out this pet door, once he got a taste of the outside, he wanted right back in! I think Hercules/Cee lo has had enough of the outdoors, and wants to live the good life. He may change his tune in the warmer months, but for now, he is quite content.

The kittens on Baldwin: I see only two now. And the one I got a fairly good look at looks sick. Watery eyes, etc. There were at least four or five baby kittens originally when I first caught a glimpse of them about a month ago. Down to two. My heart breaks to think of where the others went/are, or what they’ve endured. I have two plastic tote bins set under this little bench (pictured left), on city owned corner property. This morning I noticed a homeowner peering out their window at me. I thought to myself, if they try to trash this little shelter I have, I will let them have it. I will tell them that its not their property and that I’ve been given permission by the city, and see how that goes for me. But I will know its this house if my stuff goes missing. And I will not hesitate.









The pictures below are of my shelter that Kristin and Darrin built, and I have set up on Webster and Ferndale.  I saw four kitties coming out when I pulled up Saturday morning.  Such a good thing to see, knowing they were warm and sheltered that night.  Otherwise, for today, the brutal cold has passed, and the homeless cats on my route will suffer a bit less. It’s a good thing, as Martha Stewart would say.

Have a great day!




7 comments:

  1. Hi Janine, Mr. Whiskers is doing great - what a lover. He's warmed up to me in just one day!!
    I've actually gotten 8 kitties, including poor Buster, starting alittle over a year ago: Emma, Snowflake & Abby, Cutie Pie, Blossom, Buster, Jack and now Mr. Whiskers. At this point, am I the crazy old lady?? LOL - I don't care...I've found such gratification in making these kitties' lives better. Each is unique and very special to me. It was good seeing you yesterday; I'll call you 2nite after vet visit.
    Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Whiskers has a home!!!! and with Nancy ? well, he has indeed landed on his feet, he is in the best of hands there, God bless you Nancy, I know you play a big part in what Janine is able to do for the kitties. Each of them have their own personality dont they and there is not one of my 7 that I could part with, luckily I have a house and outdoor space to keep them all happy in :), but Janines cats are very appealing and so want to be loved by us, I highly recommend these street kitties to anyone wanting a permanent and loyal companion pet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really are all different and beautiful. Thanks to Janine and her daily feeding, they're healthy, in that regard. I wish more people would take a kitty into their home. Thank you for the kind words. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel moved to say a grateful thank you to Nancy C- I have never met you but would love to some time- I see your name on Janine's blog all the time but i did not realize until today that you had taken in EIGHT of the cats that janine has gotten off the street. A huge BLESS YOU!!!! It is a true mission of mercy and you are a Godsend to both Janine and the cats. I wish I didn't already have so many and could help too. I hope that thru this blog a few more people like you will be found. thank you so much for what you are doing.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I'm so happy for Mr. Whiskers and glad that he's settling into his new home! God bless Nancy for taking in so many needy cats. I wish she and Janine could win the lottery and start their own cat shelter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please let Nancy know hat Mr. Whiskers may not need a separate room. Cats get infected with FIV through deep bite wounds, which occur most often among un-neutered male cats fighting for mating or territorial rights. This alone is a great reason to have your cat spayed or neutered. Snuggling and even mutual grooming won’t spread the virus between cats.Any cat that receives the FIV vaccine will test positive for FIV antibodies. The current FIV tests -- the “snap test” performed at shelters and vets’ offices and the more complex Western Blot -- can’t distinguish between antibodies produced by the vaccine and antibodies produced by the virus. This is one reason why many vets don’t recommend FIV vaccinations for any but the highest-risk cats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the kind words; my part is NOTHING compared to Janine. My riding with Janine was a 'bad' combination - lol.....I wanted to grab all those kitties off the street. And I have to say - I was very naive - the first two we trapped (brother & sister) were very sick and I thought I'd easily find homes for them.....lol...1 year later and the sister is still very, very shy and I could never place them in a home. Plus I love them now.

    Mr. Whiskers is NEGATIVE - yeaaaah. So he's going to have the run of the house. Jack is FIV & leukemia positive and is isolated from the others but is warm and has his own room with a radiator to lay on and a big window. I'm hoping a redo on the bloodwork will be negative but for now, he's not with the others.

    I would love if someone reading this might decide to take in just one more kitty if they had the room. It means the whole world to them. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete