Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kitties in the Mist

It was like a rainforest out there this morning.  No gorillas, but lots of kitties.  Fog, mist, mud.  I picked up a lot of soaked towels, and replaced them with dry.  Remember, these towels go down under coverings, whether they are roofs, or boards, there is something to cover, but rain and mist seeps in under, and generally hangs in the air, so the towels get wet.  But it does provide some comfort, some dryness, for their little paws while they squat, chowing their only meal of the day.

There is a cat that has been hanging out on my porch every night for at least five months now. The only rental on my street, I believe, left this cat when they moved. I still can’t tell if he is neutered. He is an adult black male, shy but friendly. During the extreme cold snap we had last week, I brought him into my bathroom each night to spend the night. He had food, water, a blanket and litterbox. Each morning, I let him out through the window. Since I started to do this, he has become much more comfortable with me. Prior to that, he sat on my porch cuddled on my shoulder. He would tuck his feet and nose into my arm trying to get warm. Such a sweetheart. He is next on my list of hoping to get adopted. In the meantime, he has use of my porch!


Sadie and Nugget are my two next focuses. Sadie and Nugget are from Second Street – I will get pictures of both tomorrow and have Jess post them as BLOGGER is STILL malfunctioning with the picture posting! Both are around 8 or 9 mos. old.  Both now sit on my lap each morning before I get out of the car. I scratch and rub their head and neck, and they are purr balls.

I thought to myself, its so true, contrary to what others might think. These cats live on the streets, fending for their lives, and you grab them, whisk them away to a nice warm, safe environment, and they thrive! You walk in to my house and you would never know that these cats came from some of the worst streets in Rochester. They were filthy, smelly, some bleeding from wounds, but you should see them now. Some of the most loving cats I’ve ever known. All they want and need is a bit of love and attention from me, for a few minutes a day. A pat on their head, a little conversation, and empty their litter pans. That’s it! They are so easy, and oh so comforting to me after a bad day. And I have lots of those lately. I am so grateful to my kitties. They bring me such joy.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely Janine, that is so true, they are worth ev ery bit of effort that is put into caring for them to have them share our lives. I have a dog, but it's a different kind of love and comfort, that I get from my soft ,warm, kittys and I can have them on my bed ( not recomended for a big male wanna be alpha, Rottweiler) The kittys are my quiet strength when I need it most. xxxx

    ReplyDelete