Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fort Knox

I will start off with this:  As I started to pull away from one of my spots, I heard a dog barking from across the street.  I had never heard this dog before so I took a second glance and saw a dog on the side of a house, with a chain not even long enough for the dog to lay down.  Now, if this were a 50-60 degree DAY, it would not shock me as much, but this happened to be 5 in the morning, and the winds were whipping at 50 mph, and the temperature had dropped from 50 to 30 degrees in a matter of hours. And as I lay there last night in bed listening to the rain pouring down, I never imagined a dog would be out exposed like this. I snapped this picture and immediately called 911 after finding the house number. Who knows if anyone will do anything, I have lost faith in the protection system we have in place in this city for animals.


On another note, meet Nugget, the little girl on Second Street who would really love a home! She is a sweet little fluff ball, already spayed and with shots. Also included here are a few of her companions.

Going back to yesterday, Laura was able to trap two very frightened, very young – she figures about three months – little kittens from Baldwin, and reported that there were at least two more, plus a mom. I am not sure what to do with them – I feel responsible for them as they were kittens on my route, and Laura went and rescued them. I am hoping that Another Chance will take them, and am waiting for a word from them. This morning, I went back and secured their little shelters I’ve created, and set down some more food.

I thank those that have left me bricks and cinderblocks (Maree) because they were used to hold down the plastic tote shelters that are out there. One had blown quite a distance, all the straw was gone, so I placed a cinderblock on that and stuffed a towel in it for now. This wind is terrible. I had to secure many shelters this morning. This one is from Short Street. When I pulled up, this is how it looked: everything had blown, and the picture after is how it looks after I rebuilt it. I had to find many rocks to secure the plastic tarp over it, but otherwise it has made a fine shelter for a few kitties so far.



Lastly, once again, I made the best that I could for these poor city kitties that are struggling to stay alive.  I've built up the best shelters I can to protect them, and I continue to drag my arse out of bed at 4ish to bring them their food and water as this is their only meal of the day before it becomes either blown away, or covered in snow, or drenched in rain.  Its up to all of us to help them, so please pass around this blog to whoever you can in hopes that they will also pass to whoever they can, and maybe we will have enough people who might want to at least foster some of these kitties until we can find them permanent homes.  Thank you for reading.  Have a great day!  

"The vision must be followed by the venture.
It is not enough to stare up the steps - we must step up the stairs."

3 comments:

  1. It's a tough day for you and the homeless cats today Janine, I really like todays quotation, by the way. The need is endless because it falls to just a few, who will take responsibility, these people are however, the ones that lead a successful life.I wont leave you and kittys to do this all alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring wire cutters with you and set that poor dog free

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nugget's adorable! Shame they're always squinting from the flash but what can you do. I'm working on a new adopt me poster and will email it to you once I get it done! :)

    ReplyDelete