Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Laughter


Doing my cat thing this morning, an hour after I left my warm home, and as I pulled up to the last spot I feed at, I just wanted to cry.  I thought, I am in the depths of sorrow.  I see so much sadness in the morning, as kitties run to me, hoping for food, and hoping for comfort.  It was 5 degrees this morning as I left the house.  It was surely well below that as I heard the winds howling throughout the night.  I have cried many mornings driving home, thinking about them, when I should be forgetting about them and thinking about my day ahead.  And most times I do, but days like these make it hard. Thankfully, I am not clinically depressed.

We, as people, are not well designed for that level of cold. The cats living on the streets, while they might be slightly better armed against the elements, still suffer and the shelters I leave for them seem so inadequate. The blankets and the straw help them. The food fills their tiny bellies and they are better prepared for the day than they might otherwise be.

Today is the coldest day for such a long time and, hopefully, will be the coldest for a long time to come. There is no snow. There are cats with food to eat and little houses in which they can shelter.

And so I turn to my day. Thankfully I can laugh. I laugh at most things. I can laugh all day and I laugh at the silly things some people do. Mostly I laugh at myself because I can be very silly, and very childish, and they say if you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?  Reader’s Digest said that laughter is the best medicine and today the medical professionals will tell you the same thing.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Stop and smell the roses. When they are in bloom of course.

4 comments:

  1. My feral community I care for were all out to eat last night and it just made me so sad, seeing them so cold, and outside...Unfortunately mine I haven't taken in and adopted out are true ferals so there isn't a whole lot I can do but offer them their huts on my porch and a full belly. I know your pain and it sucks. Julie

    ReplyDelete

  2. To Julie and Janine, you girls are the best. You are making a difference and it is a big thing for the kittys, they would not have half a chance if it were not for you girls. We love to help you help them :) May God bless, you and the kittys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good girl, keep looking at the bright side, even through your tears! I try to be thankful for little things to offset the misery in life. I feel for those poor kitties outdoors in this frigid weather.....you are making a difference! Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, if you don't laugh you'll cry. I've been thinking and worrying about the kitties in this weather with this horrible wind. Two more days and it should warm up a litte.

    ReplyDelete