Monday, January 21, 2013

Cocoons

co·coon/kəˈkun/ [kuh-koon]


noun

1. the silky envelope spun by the larvae of many insects, as silkworms, serving as a covering while they are in the pupal stage.

2. any of various similar protective coverings in nature, as the silky case in which certain spiders enclose their eggs.

3. a protective covering, usually consisting of polyvinyl chloride, sprayed over machinery, large guns on board ships, etc., to provide an airtight seal and prevent rust during long periods of storage.

4. any encompassingly protective or hermetic wrapping or enclosure resembling a cocoon: a cocoon of gauze.

verb (used without object)

5. to produce a cocoon.


Back to my reality, not that it ever leaves my mind, but I’ve been focusing on the dog abuse situation so much last week that I’ve neglected to share my mornings in the hood with you.  I pray that the powers that be are following up with this situation, to see if any of these poor animals have been returned to the old man on Dana Street, and how the old man's own dog is faring in this weather. 

The weather outside is nasty. Its very very cold. Temperatures in the teens, and single digits forecasted for nighttime. We all have our little cocoons - some are bigger than others, but its a place for us to relax, kick back, cuddle, be ourselves.  Then again, the homeless don't have this luxury.  That includes animals.  I sat and watched my animals this weekend, and how lucky they are to have what they have.  I am blessed to have them, and they are grateful to me for having them.

Each morning, after my hour and half of driving to 16 different spots, and placing down food, water, and securing shelter for at least 30 cats, every single day, I leave the last spot thinking to myself, ‘OK, now forget about this for the next 23 hours, go about your day, and make it a good one’. And its not easy to do, but I try my best. Of course I still have to go home and prepare the food for the next morning, so it hasn’t really ended yet, until I leave for work. Then I have to try to forget. Yesterday, the wind was in excess of 30+ mph and a few of my shelters were displaced. Towels had blown, bowls were gone, boards were down. I am still in need of plastic water dishes, and plates. I am also in need of fleece towels – I would normally say blankets, but I don’t want anything too large. I like to secure, as long as the weather is dry, fleece that these cats can cozy up in. Its much better than the cotton towels that I have too many of. I brought my bag (thanks Carole) of straw with me and restuffed some of the plastic totes – its always nice to lift that lid up and see an indentation inside the straw, knowing that a cat has used it to keep warm.

The baby kittens on Baldwin have somewhere to hide, but I am sure they are freezing now. I don’t know what they are sheltered in. I left a small carrier, with straw stuffed into it, and a rug over the holes on top of it, but I am sure they can’t all fit in there, if any are using it at all. I could use several of these small containers because I could stuff them under the bench wrapped around this tree.

So, my updated wish list would be garbage bags of straw (easier to transport to my locations), small fleece blankets (even the very thin, cheap kind), plastic water bowls, and heavy plates. And of course food food food… !

Thank you for continuing to read my blog. The following was sent by Julie of Another Chance Pet Rescue –

For Jesus told his Disciples: that his Father sees the little Sparrow when he falls from the sky. And to consider the lillies of the field as they neither toil nor spin yet his Father watches over them. So, like yourself, I know that God does watch over his creatures. And there are many animals, which he directs to humans for help. Especially, humans which God has called to help them. Some are called to help fellow humans, others to help nature, and than we which are called to help the animals. We are blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Its amazing all your effort and how you can articulate it in these bligs. Very creative and lots of work. Great job.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its amazing all your effort and how you can articulate it in these bligs. Very creative and lots of work. Great job.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete