Monday, December 6, 2010

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it NOT Snow!

Winter is not supposed to be here this early! Here it is the first week of December, and we had over 10 inches fall upon us yesterday and over night. Last night, after shoveling my sidewalks and driveway three times, I was thinking about the chore it would be for me the next morning, to clear the feeding spots for my babies out there. I left the house at 5:39 am., and returned at 6:48 a.m. I was hustling out there! Brought the snow shovel, and lots of towels. I know towels are not ideal in this kind of weather as they are so moisture absorbant, but they are good for immediate use as in some spots, I lay a towel down on the wet ground so that the kitty can eat on a somewhat dry surface for the moment. I also use the towels as ground cover behind some of the boards I use as lean tos where I have no containment shelter. I change them daily, and I do a lot of washing/drying at home. I also am in need of thick heavy bath towels. I recently had a donation of towels, but they are very thin, and not bath size, but they do help! So, out I went this morning with my shovel, where I had to shovel all 8 locations. I didn't see all of my usual suspects at most of the locations, I don't know where they go, but some were grateful to see me, I could tell! I had my niece stay over this weekend, and we went out Sunday morning to do the feeding. At one location, as we were just about to drive away, a young man came around the corner with a gas tank. Mind you, its 6 am., its dark, its snowing hard, and I have half my family in the car with me! Call me crazy, but as this guy approached us asking for a ride to the gas station, I DID feel bad for him. I got out of the car and told him I had no money, was just there feeding the cats, had my 12 year old niece with me, told him to look at the neighborhood he was in, told him to remember how many shootings there are in that neighborhood, and told him it was hard for me to believe that that’s what he really wanted, was gas. He said he fell asleep in his car after drinking around 3 am. with the motor running, and the gas ran out. He was at a club. I told him I wanted to frisk him - I did. I watch too many cop shows - :). Good thing too! Anyways, he was clean, we let him in the back, gave him a ride to the nearest Fastrac, he offered to put gas in my car, he reeked of booze, I lectured him, he said it was a blessing he fell asleep and didn't drive because he thought he was still drunk, he was 21, and told me he attends the local community college majoring in music. He told me that me and his mom were going to heaven for what we do. He couldn't have thanked me enough. He turned out to be a very nice man, and I am glad I did it. I told him the only thing I wanted from him was his compassion to animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment