Friday, March 16, 2018

Catch Me If You Can!

(CLICK ON PICS TO ZOOM IN)



With great trepidation, I journeyed out this morning knowing I was going to try to catch a cat.  A cat that was very sick, a cat that I did not know its history, a cat that I had  no idea what I was going to do with, and a cat that I did not know if it would bite me when I put my hands on it.  The bite being my greatest fear.  I’ve been bitten twice in my life.    And both times it hurt something awful.  And I’ve seen some pretty nasty gashes on others as well.  As I headed out, the snow was falling lightly.  By the time I reached the spot on Pennsylvania where this kitty was hanging out, the snow was coming down heavy.    Mind you, its now 5 am., which is the normal time I arrive at this location after leaving the house at 3:45 each morning.  I have perfect timing, IF I am not shoveling.  I usually make it back home by 5:30 on a good day.  And ask anyone who has ridden with me – I know EXACTLY how much water I need – having to stop TWICE during the route to refill into a smaller jug from a larger jug that is too heavy to carry, and too tall to pour from -  and I usually use it to the last drop by the time I complete my last stop, AND I know EXACTLY how much dry and wet food I need as well.  Call me OCD. I am sure my friends will, that’s for sure.

So I grab the carrier, and all my gear, and headed back to the rat infested spot where this black kitty has been hanging, along with two reds, two calicos, and a muted tortie.  The latter have followed me from down the street when I got kicked out from that lot a year or so ago.  I pulled down the board, and proceeded to grab the plates (and shake out the towel I have laying inside for the cats to stand on for warmth and dryness when they eat, shake it out because of the dirt the rats leave behind when they chow down after I leave, which is hopefully after the cats have had their fill).  I layed the empty plates out just so to head the black cat in the right direction so that I would have easy access to grab it by its scruff (back of neck) and gingerly place it in the carrier.  To ‘throw’ it would be even more traumatic, which I’ve had to do with others.   Sometimes these cats are so big, and muscular (like Parsley was) that there is no skin or fat to scrunch up to carry them to the carrier so you quickly grab them and ‘throw’ them in the carrier when rescuing.

In he went, and without a word, rode with me to finish up my spots (there are three left after this location).  He was quiet except for a few meows  during the ride back home.  His meows reminded me of my Leo.  Leo is a love.  I love Leo.  I love black cats.  Leo loves me.  Leo is obsesses with me actually.  Black cats make the best cats in the world.  I don’t know how they got such a bad rap.    When we arrived home, he was placed in a spare bathroom off my bedroom, and I opened the door to the carrier, already having the food, litter and water ready for him.  He came out and GOBBLED the food, with gobs of drool coming from his mouth.  He sneezed, and smelled.  Boy did he smell.  His fur was missing in places on his body, and he scratched something wild.  This lUNNEUTERED ittle boy has some obstruction in his mouth, and major irritation by what ever on his skin.  I called the vet and made an appointment for him for 11:45 am. today at Caring for Cats.  The first thing the cat will have is a leukemia test.  That will decide his fate, and the rest of his treatment, unfortunately.

LEO and Smokey (😭 )

LEO BEO

I also then began to recall a black cat that I had named Blackie #2 that I had been feeding on and off at Baldwin and Grand for many years and had been missing the past year.  Blackie #1 was a cat I fed on Grand and Stout for ages before the house where underneath the porch his home was bought and being renovated by some very nasty people.  Thankfully, Sandra and Jim Felice offered to take Blackie and move him to the country where they lived, and where he now loved beyond words, and lives like a king.  Blackie would scratch me, but run to me at the same time knowing I had food.  This was just like Blackie #2  when I would see him around occasionally, the last place being on Parsells across from Baldwin, down a ways from the shelter on Baldwin and Grand.  That was late last fall.   I am thinking this is the same cat!  The same cat I had tried to trap for SO long on Baldwin, knowing he was unneutered.   But now he was injured and sick, and needed my help.  He wouldn’t fight me this time. 

(He would not sit still for a photo!  I must have taken 50 pictures and none better than this shot).



Looking very sickly...  poor boy....

So prayers for this little guy, and his future.  If anyone would like to help out with his care, please feel free to call Caring for Cats – under my name – at 585-865-5220.  Thank you so much.

We can’t rescue them all, but we can rescue them one at a time.

Have a great day!

UPDATE:  I just had to name this little one...  in honor or St. Patrick's Day, his name will be Connor!


Image result for st patricks day poems

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for rescuing Connor J !
    His story will be next !

    ReplyDelete
  2. On behalf of Janine and all the Homeless and Neglected Kitties that Janine feeds, shelters, medicates and ultimately rescues daily we sincerely thank all of you who have contributed to the Go Fund Me page.

    Please remember that every donation makes it possible for Janine to continue her Excellent work of Rescuing these precious creatures from a life of hell.

    Please apprise all the Cat lovers you know of this Campaign so Janine can continue her mission of saving Rochester's Homeless and Neglected Cats one at a time.


    Thank you all,
    Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you caught the poor thing and that he's feeling better! I think he's happy to be inside and taken care of!

    ReplyDelete