Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Barefoot and Pregnant




Here we go again.  Its kitten season.

Hey Lady!  Quit choking me!  :)  (he wouldn't sit still)


ONYX


So yesterday was one crazy day, and after I had to let the two kitties that I trapped and had neutered yesterday, I was very glad it was over.  I am now UP two cats from last week.  I had an offer I could not refuse.  My friend and foster, Melissa, offered to take ONYX under her wing rather than put him back on the street.  After having observed him since his return from the clinic yesterday, I’ve determined that he is a SWEETHEART.  Let me tell you a little bit about Onyx.  He is a kitty that I started feeding in the back of the public market buildings on Pennsylvania and Niagara Street last fall.   He would hear my cat call and come running from blocks away.  Really.  I picked him up in snowstorm over the winter and drove him to a shelter just down the street at one time.  I would also see him at three of my other locations – he really got around.  I knew he was unneutered, but it was winter, and I wouldn’t have let this little one go back out if I had to get him vetted, and I just didn’t have the means to rescue during that time.  I would see him around here or there, and I am glad he was ‘there’ yesterday morning when I failed to trap two more kitties.

The other two kitties spent a cold night on my porch.  They were pretty upset.  One ate, the other didn’t.   I had a heavy blanket covering both traps, and also had the heater going for them up until bedtime, and then again after I got up at 2 am.  Letting them back out was heartbreaking for me.  The temperature was like………. 19 degrees?  Freezing.

The other kitty, Chrissy, was picked up and brought to a barn.  Good luck to her, no more kittens Chrissy.

CONNOR

Today, Connor is being neutered, and the docs will be determining what is going on with his mouth that is causing drooling and pain when he eats.  He barely has any fur on his body, certainly none underneath.  He is a silly little boy that likes to lay down at your feet and roll over.  Loves to be petted.   I am still cautious of him, as I was with Blackie #1.  He will go to foster this weekend, and I will need to make sure she is cautious with him as well.

Parsley and Hermie are acclimating in their new space.  I need to get them adopted.  But not necessarily together as I was told by their last foster, Joy.  They are NOT bonded as I once thought they were.

Pregnant Cat on right (Central Park)
One more note about this morning.  As I was pouring food down at my Central near Fifth location, the normal kitties came out from underneath their little shelter to eat before I even put the food down for them, and the little black with white kitty that has been hanging around came right out to eat.  I noticed prior she was not eartipped, but this time, I felt her belly.  Full, round, and big.  Ready to pop.  I really was upset at myself for not having noticed, or checked, then again I did not have the opportunity to do so before.  I was also very upset that I didn’t bring a carrier with me, the carrier still in the bathroom with Onyx, and the traps had taken up all the room in back of the truck.    I will be ready for her tomorrow, and I pray today she does not wander and have her babies elsewhere.

Have a good day.

Snip and Chip

Don't wait for little pattering paws,
get kitty done today.
Head off to your local vets,
for a neuter or a spay.

Ignoring this is no excuse,
the shelters will concur.
They're bursting at the seams with cats,
as others did defer.

If left intact a female cat,
can mother many kits.
Twelve a year could be the norm,
so come on use your wits.

If money's tight then ask for help,
the experts can assist.
Cats all need to have the snip,
so please do not desist!


No comments:

Post a Comment