Thursday, September 17, 2015

Planes, Trains and Skunks!

WOW!  I went out to my porch this a.m. and discovered someone left me two bags of bowls!  PERFECTO!  The Chinese takeout ones are perfect because when the water is frozen in the morning, they are easy to twist a bit and the ice slides right out so that I can replace it with hot water, the water cools and its long enough for the cats to get their sips in before it ices over again.  Oh, the thought.....  :(

The bowls are excellent, I go through at least seven a day, replacing here and there.  Thank you thank you thank you.  So many kind people helping me out trying to help out the poor animals out there, in our city.  I can't thank you enough for the kind gestures. 

Trixie

Alice
I mentioned two pregnant females yesterday, and I was offered two spots at a clinic, so off I went this morning on a mission.  I just had to get 'Trixie' and 'Alice'.  Those of you younger than me (39) might not remember the names from the show The Honeymooners with Jackie Gleason.  Loved those shows (reruns - WAAAAAY before my time!) :)  Sure enough, there were the girls, waiting for me.  They were the easiest catch I've ever done.  They didn't even scare from the two large carriers I brought up the steps with me to put them in.  Way too easy.  I am fairly certain they are BOTH pregnant.  If not, Trixie is just fat.  Its VERY hard to let these girls back on the streets tomorrow morning.  Both are VERY SWEET girls, I just have to pray they are survivors.  (Their pictures are deceiving - they are just upset at being cooped up and no food). :(

Car repair for broken gas line - to patch and pray it holds up for another year:  $150.  To replace like it should be:  $700-800.  I opted for the patch job, hoping to win the lottery in the next year.  Check engine light on this morning, drove all the way out to the shop again, he said its emissions something or other, and that it should be looked at, but car drivable for now,   I told him I would make an appt. for next week and we will go from there.  I am trying to make it in this 10+ year old car through the winter. The Cat Mobile, the Jeep, is another story.  Barely hanging by a thread that one too.  Just waiting for the next boot to drop.


CAMMY

I pulled up to Central and Fifth this morning, where Cammy was recently rescued, and who is doing very well in his single room he has to live in until someone kind comes along and adopts him.   I noticed something black, white and furry in the dark in the grassy lot that my shelters are in back of, and shined my flashlight on it, it was a dead skunk.  Not the first I've seen, not totally unusual, but odd to see it there, and not in the middle of the road.  Isn't there a song, Dead Skunk In The Middle of The Road?  No odor either, like you would if the skunk had been hit.  Oh well.  I said a little prayer as I do for all creatures who meet their end, and went on my way.

UPDATE on Patches - the sick orange kitty I snagged Tuesday morning and is being fostered after going to vet for a wound and URI.  Here is what his foster mom has to say to me this morning:  "He is such a lover! And he loves to be brushed 😀 I'm gonna try to give him a bath tomorrow"

If anyone ever tagged along with me, and saw all the cats I feed at all the locations that I go to, your hearts would break.  You would think its a crime - ANIMAL NEGLECT - and it is.  Our city and local governments should be addressing this problem.  I know there isn't enough law enforcement at Lollipop.  Is it because of their isn't enough money in their budget to hire more people?  Animal Services, I know there are not enough officers to help them either.   I called 911 two weeks ago about a Spanish man hoarding bunnies in the back of his property in a tiny shed.  I called last week to get a follow up from Lollipop, and no one could tell me anything.  This property adjoins the vacant lot where I have shelters, where I have seen a light on in this shed for years.  I reported chickens, or roosters being on this property.  I reported that the dogs were left in under 0 degree weather in the winters, I've reported that rumor had it that the man was trapping cats years ago and feeding them to his pit bull and rottweiler.  These reports have been made over many years.  I see and hear so many things out in the wee hours of the day, sounds that would make your skin crawl.  Puppy sounds crying in the dark.  Its terrible the way some people treat animals - I just wish the authorities could do more about it.

Don't forget to spread the word, there are so many babies that need our help.  Food and financial donations are needed so that I can continue in this tiny corner of our city.  Thanks and have a great day.

Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day. 

1 comment:

  1. I looked up cities that have programs for feral/stray cats. NY city has one. It is not funded by the city, but they work with city leaders. After doing a little reading on the site, I learned that it is ENTIRELY run by volunteers and a coalition of dozens of rescue organizations in the NYC area. it appears that the city does NOT oversee or fund this organization. Here is what the website says:

    Organizational Overview The Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals, a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity, is the sole umbrella organization for animal welfare in NYC. Since 2003, we have been working with our coalition of 150+ rescue groups and shelters to find homes for thousands of New York City's dogs and cats. Our goal is to transform New York City into a no-kill community by 2015, where no dogs or cats of reasonable health or temperament are killed simply because they do not have homes. While we work collaboratively with the City of New York, we are a 501(c)(3) charity and do not receive any government funding, nor are we a city agency. Our Mission The Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals is committed to seeing the day when no New York City dog or cat of reasonable health and temperament is killed merely because he or she does not have a home. - See more at: http://www.animalalliancenyc.org/about/index.htm#sthash.Ci9sBKsv.dpuf
    We need to start the ball rolling to create one of the programs in Rochester. We cannot stand by and wait for the city to do something. We have to do something and then invite the city to join us in our efforts. The questions is how do we begin? Anyone have ideas? -Kristin

    ReplyDelete