Tuesday, September 22, 2015

TNR Tuesday - And...............Another Rescue!




There WAS a rescue org out there for dogs that went around the city checking on dogs that weren't provided the best care, but were loved.  I have said this before and I will say it again, some of those people show their love in different ways that I would show it to an animal, but nevertheless, they are not abusing the animal in the eyes of the law, but we see it that way.  PAWS went and provided food and shelter to animals like DEBO.  There are tons of animals that live outside, we just don't see them.  PAWS also had a clinic, from what I recall, that allowed these animals to come and get the immunizations they needed, for a low cost.  We do have that at RCAC, but there are also owners that have no vehicle. 

I can say that the situation with Angel, who is DEBO's 'dad', he is a very uneducated man.  He lives on a dead end street which is mostly all Hispanic and black, very high crime area - there was a shooting yesterday morning that happened minutes before I passed there going to pick up the dog for his vet appt.  Three weeks ago, there was a shooting on the corner of Clifford and Portland, which is where Miss B lives.  Angel may have no vehicle, but he also probably doesn't know enough to know that the dog needed to be seen by a vet long ago.  As I said, he is uneducated, not mean.

My best advice I can give him is what someone offered, to have a vet come to his house for Debo's final moments.  I just need to figure out what to say to convince him of that.  When I even mentioned 'euthanasia' after the appointment yesterday, he lowered his eyes and seemed very sad.   I know he doesn't want the animal to suffer, but he also doesn't understand that death would be the best thing for the dog, who is 20+ years old now.  I will pick up Debo's prescription this morning and bring it over to him, and maybe hand him some literature to think about.

The decision a pet owner faces when deciding whether to euthanize a beloved pet can be a hard decision whether its right or not.  If you do not euthanize, then the pet who is suffering continues to suffer even longer.  If you do euthanize, then the suffering ends but you actually are ending the life of a dependent of yours who has the mental capacity of a small child and is therefore incapable of giving competent consent.   Our pets grow old and die before we do.  Yet, even in their advanced years and on their death beds, they remain our babies.

This is an excellent guide on Euthanasia:  http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/pet-euthanasia.html

Mikey

Petunia



TNR day today.  I 'caught' Petunia, a willing victim, on Parsells first thing this morning.  Mikey, from Melville, will go for snip snip and be released tomorrow.  There are many kitties on Melville, and I am doing my best to help the situation there.  I was able to place a couple of tote shelters there also, but need to do more. There are kittens running around here also, but I did spay the mom over the summer.  PS, Petunia is Polly's mom!  I don't believe there are any more kittens there.

I am lucky enough to have someone reach out to me regarding fostering this week.  This is what social media is all about.  Sharing and caring, to me at least.  If we share things we are passionate about, others will catch on. Thank you Kim, for sending Jennifer my way.  Petunia will hopefully go to her new foster home this weekend.

I also want to say thank you to those that called the clinic to pay the $180 bill for Demo.  It so wonderful to see that others care about animals, some with more 'passion' than others, but we would fight to the end for them.  That might sound overly dramatic but obviously, I would - I put myself out there in the heart of the city of Rochester every single morning of my life, in the darkness and evil lurks, just to care for these animals.  

I will never walk away or turn a blind eye to something that I think might be wrong, but you have to understand the situation before you make a judgment call about it.   Angel has taught me this lesson in the past three days.   I continue to learn something new, thank God.

Have a nice day.



5 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say other than thank you for everything you do. My heart breaks for Debo and Angel. They are old friends it would seem. I wish the world wasn't such a harsh and often cruel place for animals and people. I guess all we can do is keep an eye out for those in need and do all we have the power to do to help. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't PAWS still around?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe they are- I just looked at their website yesterday. I was wondering about it too from how Janine wrote in past tense. Janine do you know something going on with PAWS?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the vet bill for Demo paid off in full?
    I'm wondering if it makes sense to contact Pitty Love. They are a wonderful rescue who deal primarily with pitbulls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vet bill has been paid, thank you to all that did and/or tried! <3
      On a side note, I am trying to get a friend's husband, who is Hispanic, to go talk to the man, man to man. Maybe it will help this man to understand a little better.

      Delete