Friday, August 28, 2015

Purple Haze

Thank God for drugs.

Please disregard this horrible picture of my legs and feet.  Cloe is looking much better!

Scooter trying to play with sick Cloe
It was a tumultuous week, but I made it.  The little girl I rescued, Cloe (Sevigny) from Second Street last Sunday morning is doing well.  Little did I know that under that fur she had two large gaping holes in her body.  One was just under a huge abscess that was drained and cleaned on Tuesday at the clinic.  She received pain meds yesterday (finally) and has been feeling much better since.  A friend who adopted Tiggy stopped over (she was in the neighborhood having Tig neutered!) and helped put a plastic collar she was sent home with together, and put a little solution in her open wound.  After the drugs were picked up later, another girl named Sue, who adopted Mel from Melville on Saturday - a retired nurse - came by to give her her meds while I was at work, and to wipe and drip this solution into the holes in Cloe's tiny body.   She is looking MUCH better today.  I gave her another dose of pain meds and dripped solution into her wounds, with warm compresses.  Oops.  I forgot to give her Clavamox!  :(

I received a call last evening from Diane, who's group Keller's Kats found a home for Scooter!  The little black kitten I rescued from Pennsylvania and Second on Tuesday.  He is the cutest little kitten!  Its so hard to say goodbye to these rascals.  He is an angel and a devil, all at once!  By devil I mean he just loves to play.

The woman that called a rescue group about kittens that were running around her corner of the street where she lived, and they referred her to me - Gael - I wound up recruiting this sweet young girl who is the daughter of a woman that fostered for me many years ago.  She came over with her boyfriend, never having trapped, let alone kittens (she borrowed traps from Lollipop), and they wound up getting three or four kittens.  On Wednesday, she called me in a panic and told me that one of the kittens was very sick, acting very strange.  Just so happened to the kitten that bit her the first day she had her.  Turns out the kitten was put to sleep, and suspected to have Rabies.  :( Kristi will find out today if that is the case, but we are praying its not, for Kristi's sake.  Kristi ALSO took Hermie, the black boy that had a baseball sized hernia from Webster and Ferndale.  Hermie had the surgery for that, and was neutered, and is recovering at Kristi's home, where she continues to work on the remaining kittens and Hermie, to get them socialized and ready for adoption.  There are still kittens and unspayed mother at Gael's, but one step at a time for now.  I have so much on my plate.

Cammy is doing well in the bathroom.  Loves his tummy rubbed.  Is very messy with litterbox but thank God he knows how to use it!  He is a very big boy.  He has a very thick neck and fat jowls.  He will go to his foster home on Saturday morning, thank you Karen!


Guess who walked up to me this morning to get his breakfast?  PARSLEY on Parsells.  After yesterday's fiasco, I didn't think he would ever trust me again.  First, I grab him two weeks ago and throw him into carrier to go to clinic that morning for neuter.  Then I had to release him the next morning because we couldn't find him a home.  Then, a week later, someone offers to foster/adopt him, and I try for him yesterday, and as I had him scrunched in my hand on the way to the carrier opened by the car, he wriggled free and I dropped him on the carrier and off he went.  I felt awful.  But he came back around.  This time though, the plan has changed.  I will try for him again on Monday, if all goes well.

I have appointments for TNR for each Tuesday this month at the clinic.  I have no credit on the books there.  If anyone can find it in their heart, and wallet, to call the clinic to donate money towards these $50 per cat charges, I would be most grateful.  In all honestly, I cannot continue to do this without help anymore.  Its just too much.  I have had too many car and CAT repair exenses this year.  Its been a tough summer.  The number for the clinic is 585-288-0600.  Any little bit helps.

Thank you for your time in reading my daily dramas.

Have a great day!

Ten Commandments For Responsible Pet Ownership

  1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.
  2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
  3. Place your trust in me; it is crucial for my well-being.
  4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment.  You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I have only you!
  5. Talk to me even if I don't understand your words. I understand your voice and when it's speaking.
  6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
  7. Before you hit me, remember I have teeth that could easily bite you, but I choose not to because I love you.
  8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long; or my heart may be getting old and weak.
  9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old.
  10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or, "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there.
Remember I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Kristi must have been freaking out! I know I would. I'm praying the test is negative. Bless her for taking those kittens and poor Hermie. I hope he's feeling better soon and gets some weight on him. He must think he's died and gone to heaven!