Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wednesday Morning Observations!

Am getting very dull with my titles these days.  Sorry.  :)

As I was driving to my first spot this morning, which has remained untouched, I passed a cat on the side of the road, and of course being in the neighborhood it was in, I am sure it was a homeless stray.  I immediately pulled over, got my dishes, food and water, and got out and placed food and water down for it under the tree.  Here is a picture of the little baby: 


At the next stop, I tried to get a picture of the kitties eating under the door I have placed there, with two of Kristin's huts under it on each end, so that the food I place under it is protected by the rain, and as I tried to snap a pic, my memory was full.  So that blew a picture taking morning.  Although I will share a few I have not posted here yet from a few days ago.  At my next spot (#2), the usual Big Red, Limpy (who is doing much better!), Talkie and "Limpy" Lucille.  Lucille has an injury to her front paw and cannot apply any pressure to it.  Poor thing.  The next few spots were quiet, as usual, never any problems there.  At spot #4, the owner of the house, he lives in Penfield, and years ago I called him to ask if it was OK to feed cats at his rental property on Hayward, and he is obviously OK with it because he comes and mows the grass and never trashes my stuff.  He just mows around it.  Its the next spot, spot #5 that I still don't know what to do with all those kitties.  Most have been spayed and neutered.  This is the location where the house is being renovated, and where the Devil Man lives a few doors down.  But would you believe, he has not been trashing my bowl and plate I have been leaving there.  Maybe something made sense to him in my rant with him a few weeks back.  Maybe the comment 'you are going straight to hell' made him think?  HA.  I wonder.  I hope and pray that he has had a change of heart. 

Yesterday, on my lunch, I drove over the Seventh and had a look around.  No kids, no one in the lot where they took all my stuff from.  After work I took another drive over and saw Maria on her porch.  We said hello, and she pointed out a few of the kids she has seen in the lot.  I pointed out a neighbor across the street on his porch and told her it was useless for me to talk to him because he didn't speak much English.  Maria offered to go over to be the interpreter.  I wound up talking to the man, who was obviously drunk and started condescending rude remarks about 'pussies'.  What a jerk.  I wound up ignoring him, and speaking to four young boys.  I told them about how scared the kitties were, that their home was destroyed, and I asked them to protect these kitties.  They were good boys, I think, and promised to keep an eye out for anyone harming any new shelter I put up.  I placed a large board against the building this morning, and will monitor it the area again today.  Fingers crossed.  At some point, I will place a new hut there with straw for the cold weather that will soon enough be coming out way.   The picture below is of Blackie, a regular at Seventh.  He is waiting for me every morning.

New Mom who looks like a Van Gogh painting was at Sparkles and Limpy #2's spot, very very hungry.   I must figure out a sweet name for her.  She is not there every day, I wonder where she goes, and I wonder where her kittens are.  At my spot on Second, I discovered that one of the kittens I've been feeding, who is a little wild but will let me touch her, either is, or has been pregnant.  A very tiny kitty, can you imagine.  She has many toes, is gray with white tux on her front.  Very very cute little baby, although it was hard to get my hand under her to know for sure.

This week I spotted the dog that I've been mentioning for months now on Central.  The poor thing is very timid and afraid.  I called 911 about her, for the 15th time I am sure.  I always place dog food and water down for her.  Not sure if she eats it.   

Finally, on my way back home, I stopped at my 5th spot, where the workers are, and got out of my car.  As I was brushing my teeth this morning, I thought to do this and couldn't believe I was actually doing it!  I walked up to one of the workers who I had spoken to originally about having to move the cat food off the porch of the house they were rebuilding, and said "you know how I've been feeding these cats for a long time now, and then you guys come along and are doing your job, of course, and I had to move the cats food and shelter, but have no where to put it out somewhere safe and dry" and then I said "I was thinking maybe you could build me a cat shelter", and I showed him with my hands how big, how wide, that it should have a door at the top to open to place straw into, and a hole on the side at the bottom for the cats to go into, etc....  I said it would be good publicity for you because I would mention you in my blog, and it would also be doing a good thing for these animals.  I couldn't believe my nerve, but then again, I could!  :)  He told me he would have to check with his boss first because he didn't want to lose his job over it.  I asked him about the lot next to the house and he did confirm that the City owns it.  Thats where I've been placing their food bowls for now, but there is no shelter when it rains, which it is supposed to do all weekend starting today.  So, we will see.  I told the guy he had all the tools to make me a hut and that it wouldn't take him long!  We will see!   So, that was my morning, and how was yours?  :)  PS, take a look at Butters!  Took this picture yesterday!   He is still up for grabs!

1 comment:

  1. I love butterboy!!! I wish, wish, wish I could have him! :) You are just getting better and better at what you do - enlisting the help of the residents and workers. I got your message from yesterday - and I will call you tonight. :)
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete