Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Hump Day

And boy is the hump a hump.

So yesterday late afternoon I am leaving from visiting Buffy, her kittens, Parsley and the missing Hermie (he was later found - the master of disguise!) and I get a call from my mother.  Now, I had her set a trap yesterday morning for a suspected pregnant cat she has been feeding - its actually a family of black cats in her suburban Webster home near the lake and bay - as I had a spot at the clinic.  There are about six now, and we've had two done already.  As luck would have it, no one went into the trap she set on her back deck at 4 am.  That's fine, I guess, because I trapped a cat and that took care of my one spot at the clinic.  Meanwhile, as she was watching TV late afternoon, she watched as a black cat walked past her downstairs family room window (split level), with something in its mouse.  She wondered, was it a mouse?  So she followed it to the neighboring home, behind the shed, and there were two cats laying on top of a pile, a pile of kittens.



She called me, I ran over, slowly crept up to see, and the two cats took off.  Now, this was in a pile of leaves, the temps were falling, and it was raining at 4 pm. yesterday.  I couldn't just leave them.  So I grabbed them, placed in towel in box, and off I went running, home to get the bottles of formula ready.

Meanwhile, I called mom and asked her to set the trap and keep it set.  We needed mom.  How in the world could we ever nurse 5 NEWBORN kittens!  At least Buffy had her babies for two days before going to the emergency clinic for two nights.  She gave them that sustaining milk all newborns need in their first days.  So we did it for Buffy's babies, and we could do it with these new ones.  So I called all the friends I could think of that were very close by, and a friend who helped me in a pinch a year or two ago, if you will recall BACARDI, was able to come help.  She was actually in a very down place when I called and she said my call was a life saving call.  I am very glad she was able to come help us nurse.  She knew just what to do.

In the meantime, my foster in Caledonia (one of them!) who is fostering Chewy, and adopted Marti (Simon - the white cat that went missing but was found) said she would take them.  She has a job that would allow her to be with them.  She has her own hairdresser business.  Lucky girl.  Its a huge job, and I am SO thankful she came later at night (REALLY LATE FOR ME!  :( ) and picked them up.



At 2 am. this morning, I received good reports.  There was a kitten that was not responding too well and I didn't believe it would make it.  Poor thing.  Thank you Amanda, you are a life saver.  For sure.

So I flipped out when all this happened.  I am not good with newborns.  I can handle kittens to a point.  I am much better rescuing adult cats and finding them homes.  Dear God, I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

PLEASE HELP TO SPAY AND NEUTER!  MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AT A LOW INCOME CLINIC, BORROW A TRAP, AND GET ONE DONE!  It will make the world of difference to that cat, and its unborn fetus'.  Remember, there are already two on my route that WERE pregnant, and I have not seen them.  Those poor angels.  YOU can make a difference.

Have a great day.

When you're in a dark place,
you sometimes tend to think
you've been buried.

Perhaps you've been planted.

Bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment