Tuesday, March 7, 2017

What size shoe do you wear? GUEST POST!!!

Makeshift feeding spot - City boarded up tiny porch on the front of this house.
Two kitties having their only meal of the day here this morning

Click on pics to see closer!

This big black dude walked up to me this morning and asked me this question.  No good morning, nothing.  In his hands was a bag with boots in it.  I said, that's a rather personal question!  and laughed.  He didn't.  He said it was a 10 boot, I told him I had enough boots - too many in fact, but thank you.  He then asked me to just look at them, I told him I had to feed the cats.  He's harmless.  He's been selling his wares on the corner of 7th and Bay for a long time now. 

Cookie rescued last summer from Central when I trapped her- she had pyometra - In its simplest terms, pyometra is an infection in the uterus.Pyometra is considered a serious and life threatening condition that must be treated quickly and aggressively. "Pyometra is a secondary infection that occurs because of hormonal changes in the female's reproductive tract."  I took her in hoping for adoption
but there aren't a lot of people who want a senior cat.

She's chillin' this morning, ya think?

The locals are starting to come out in droves now that the warmer weather is here.  But they all know me.  And they basically leave me alone.

Saroo this morning.  He will go in for snip snip this Thursday,
and ready for adoption!  Such a handsome boy!
I was going to post today all the info on my shelters - all 16 or so locations, which house and feed at least 5 cats on average, and the conditions of the shelters, and who I was feeding.  But I received a note from one of my fosters last night - one of the very few I have.  In fact there are...  four?  I've lost a few along the way (some call them foster failures!).  And boy do I appreciate them.  One lives in Caledonia, which is a tad far (but so far so good!  she is even willing to come to me!), one takes in my special needs and kittens - most of the time these are born on the streets and need to be socialized, one has had a foster baby - Peaches - for way long now, and one is if I am very desperate - she has medical issues.  They are all truly very special people to me.  So I wanted to share Kim's note.  What special people foster parents are to sacrifice their love for their foster 'children.'


I could never be a foster---

 I spent years telling myself that too.  I love the animals too much, I could never give them up, I don’t have room and I don’t have time,

One day, after reading this blog, and hearing about all Janine was doing, usually alone, I decided I had to help.  So I sent food and that made me feel better for a while…… and then it didn’t anymore.
I have 6 cats and 2 dogs and a husband that threatened divorce if I brought home “one more pet”, “You cant save them all” he said. He’s right, I know, but maybe I could save just one more. Maybe I could stop crying when I read Janine’s blog if I could help just 1 more.

So, I begged and pleaded, and pulled out all the stops to get my husband to agree to “just one more” short term, the kitty would be crashing at our house, sleeping on the couch, hanging out until he got a new home….

When I contacted Janine, I don’t think she believed me at first, but it wasn’t long until she brought me Peppercorn, he was a beauty, shy and sweet. I watched him grow in kitty confidence as his trust in me grew. He became more brave and I watched and cheered when he ventured farther and farther from his room and held his own with the resident cats.  He was here about 5 weeks. When he left, I cried. The next day, I cried some more, but then, as the days past, I was updated about how well he was doing. That really helped me to hear that he was doing ok and his new people loved him. Maybe, I could do just 1 more….. after all, winter was coming.

Along came Dasher, the kitty with the tough guy attitude. That was really just a defense for a scared baby who wanted to be loved and held. It took us 6 weeks, to go from not trusting each other to having him curled up under my chin every night for loving. When he was adopted, I sobbed. I knew his adoptive home was perfect for him, I had to love him enough to let him go, it was best for him. But, my heart broke just a little bit.  We had come so far together….

Stash/Simon was here next, hardly got to know or love him and then he was gone. Adopted in 1 week, even though he was all black (and beautiful).  I hardly got to know him. I got teary when he left too.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with these 3 cats, they were all loving and affectionate, clean and quiet. The problem was with their owners, These cats were victims who deserved and got a second chance. So,  I am waiting for the next one who needs a second chance.  I will cry when the next on gets adopted, and it will make my family and friends question why I keep doing this to myself.  What I can say to them is this; I would rather cry because these sweet babies were leaving me and going to good loving homes, than cry about the poor injured and suffering babies that Janine will sometimes writes about, any day!


If you have ever felt like I do, I ask you to reconsider fostering, even 1 time. It is hard to let them go, but to watch these cats blossom, and get their confidence and trust back, is amazing and worth every tear. It really doesn’t take up much space or time to foster, and even my husband is now involved  and understands that these cats just need a break or some good luck. Please consider fostering, you will save a life.
:)  Thanks Kim. ❤

Have a great day!

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give."

4 comments:

  1. OMG Kim you made me cry !
    Awesome guest post !
    Thank you for sharing your passion for helping the poor, the lost, the forgotten ...
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for fostering Kim. People forget how important the work is, especially once they take the kitty home and make it their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful guest post! I remember seeing pics of Peppercorn snuggled up with Kim and thinking how wonderful it was that she was fostering him. I thought maybe he'd be a foster failure but Kim was brave and unselfish enough to let him go so that she'd be able to save another cat. Thank you Kim for saving these cats and for sharing about your experience. When you get your next foster kitty, please write about that one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Dasher's new mom (now Bogart), I can't tell you how grateful I am to Kim for socializing our little boy and making him the loving kitty he is. He has so much personality and is such a smart boy. Still working on getting him completely comfortable with his canine sibling, but I know that will just take lots of time and patience. Thank you Kim, and Janine, for taking our sweet boy off the streets along with all the others you've been able to help!

    ReplyDelete