Thursday, February 14, 2013

Beauty - in the Eye of the Beholder?


Yesterday I sent out an e-mail with the picture of the kitty on Tuesday's post, the kitty that Laura picked up from Chamberlain on Sunday when she helped shovel my feeding spots in the city.  The e-mail was asking if anyone could adopt or at least foster this beauty.  I had an quite a few responses for Carmela (as she is being called for now) after I sent that out.  Carmela is certainly a beautiful cat.  She's not your typical 'run of the mill' grey, tuxedo or tabby cat like the kitties I've posted about that need homes out there.  She is fluffy, white, and beautiful.  I remember a kitty named Laura that was stunningly gorgeous that I rescued a year ago, pregnant, and I got an overwhelming number of responses for her.  Why is it that these beautiful cats find homes more easily than the more plain ones? 

Don’t people know that all of these cats deserve a home, no more or no less than the pretty ones?   The same is true in our society as humans.  We tend to be less kind to those that aren’t as pretty, or as young, or as educated or as well off financially as we are.  Humans don’t’ deserve that, nor do the animals!  I tend to go for the ugly and disabled cats first.  They usually wind up being the most grateful and loving of them all.

God bless these people though, the ones that do adopt or foster.  We just need more of them! 

This morning was uneventful on my route.  I have seen the red kitty on Pennsylvania twice now since the morning I saw it looking very sickly.  That morning it got close enough to me - it was starving - to allow me to see it up close, but the two times since he has run and won't allow me to look at him.  Its dark out there still so its hard to see him.  There were FIVE cats at my first stop on Parsells.  I've seen FIVE at my Sixth Street shelter. it seems their numbers are doubling!  In between Hayward and Baldwin I spotted a cat this morning.  I got out, as usual, and placed a bowl of food and water down for it - thinking its a stray or feral and very hungry - and it came jaunting over to me, allowing me to pet him, and it had a collar on him.  I then felt his behind, and sure enough, its an unneutered male!  What is wrong with these people!!!  You can collar a cat and call it yours, but you don't take responsiblity for it!

I heard through a few grapevines recently that there is going to be a low-cost clinic opening up in this neighborhood sometime this year, and obviously was thrilled by this news, if it happens, but if an when it does, word needs to get out to each and every homeowner about this clinic, and the responsiblity they have to ensure their cats are spayed and neutered to prevent the sorrow I see daily with sick and injured cats, and newborn kittens trying to survive.

I have the day off from work tomorrow and boy do I need it!   I will keep you posted, and thanks for reading!

"I will explain to you as much of life as I can, but you must remember that there is a part of life for which you are the explanation."

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear Carmela will probably find a home but I agree with you Janine; looks aren't everything and the others are sooooo grateful for a chance. Leave the cuties and kittens to those that need them; I'll take the scruffy ones anyday. Have a great day off sweetie - you sooo deserve it. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too ! I have to admit I feel so guilty about my beautiful cats, they truly are stunning to look at, and have exceptional personalitys........Sandy is chubby and has short sturdy legs with a big moon face :) Monkey has that one of a kind tail..... Janine has spoilt me by allowing me to have them, they are my delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kitties on the street are so healthy looking because of Janine and I thank her for that.

    Janine, I'm getting Cassidy today instead of Sat. - I'll talk to you this weekend. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete