Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Greek Tragedy

Well, an American one at least. 

Banjo, the Newfoundland MIX dog that was rescued from the hood on Sunday morning - the situation was clear to me that he was either abandonded there at one of my spots, lived outdoors his entire life on a heavy, padlocked chain, no socialization with other animals, and most likely was never walked.  Although he did very well when I walked him around the block Sunday afternoon.  Despite his background, this dog remains very very sweet with humans.  Very loyal.  And now, after two people took a chance with him the past two days, didn't give him a chance, as far as I am concerned, and he is now going to be brought to a shelter this morning, where he will most likely be put to sleep at some point, if no one claims him.  All Banjo needed was someone willing to COMMIT, to PROMISE him a good life after time and patience and some basic training.  

Many people have expressed interest in Banjo, but so far no one has been willing to stick it out with him. It’s a very sad situation. I do my best to help ALL animals, its hard enough doing what I do every single day of my life from 5 am. to 6:15 am. feeding over 50 animals, at 16 colonies that I have half assed shelters set up at – one of which is going to be torn down so the poor cats there are highly distressed, not knowing where to go. I will continue to leave food and water for them until there is no house standing there.
If anyone can offer a better idea for Banjo, and be willing to go that extra mile for him before 10 am. this morning, please do so.

On another note, the two babies, Magic and Pumpkin, that I rescued last summer with their mother Vanessa, are being returned to me after four months.  Their person's husband is now allergic.  I will stop there.

MAGIC


PUMPKIN


VANESSA


3 comments:

  1. That is a typical situation for this dog. People get working breed dogs then do not put them to work. The dog would come to hand very quickly IF, the new owner took just a few rudimentry lessons from a " working dog trainer". These people are vastly different, and much quicker in getting a result,with their methods, to places like Pet smart training and general Dog obediance schools. Having a working dog myself, and having previously paid out fees to a succesful general obediace trainer for my dog, the result was limited. I switched my working dog to a working dog trainer and have hugely improved obediance, this was immediate. If any one is willing to take the dog you can contact me thru Janine for details of such a trainer in our area. This dog could become a star, in such a short time, he is owed the correct placement for his role in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, thank you for taking these 2 kittens back into your home without hesitation Janine. One step forward, 2 steps back, for the poor things, again, homeless. I often ask myself ,just how much you are supposed to bear in your daily commitment to ease the suffering of these animals, who of us, would take up your lifes dedication to do this, if you suddenly stop ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How frustrating! All of a sudden he's allergic. Uh-huh. I sent a photos and a link of Banjo to my naturopath. She has a Newfie mix and I know they've thought about getting another dog at some point. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete