Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Little Red Riding Hood


 I was reminded of this story as I sat this morning, sipping my coffee, watching the news, just before heading out to feed the 50+ cats in the hood that I do each and every day of my life.  The newscast began by announcing its breaking news:  "Man shot dead on Second Street overnight.  Still searching for suspects."  I thought to myself, here we go again.  There hasn't been a shooting in the area that I go to - in the dark - every morning, since last summer.  As I drove to each of my spots, getting closer to Second Street, where I just recently rescued Howard/Muffin, and where Nugget still remains, another highly adoptable sweetheart, I had a tiny bit of trepidation, but in all honesty, I am a fearless person.  I am a very bold individual.  I am in all facets of my life.  Ask my friends and family.  I am direct, sometimes too much.  As I drove down Second, I could see the police cars blocking off one end of the street, with yellow tape around the house that the man must have been found outside of.  Who knows if this was drug related, gang related, or what, but normally this has been a quiet street.  Sure, there is a house that is run by bootleggers on this street, you see people pull up in cars, taxis, walk-ups, and knock on the side window in the early hours of the morning, but otherwise, its a quiet street that is streaming with kitties.   So the Big Bad Wolf was out last night.  Unapprehended so far.  I am not afraid of the Big Bad Wolf because I am on my own mission each morning, and I feel safe by my strength and determination.


Howard on Second
Apart from that, the stray that has been hanging on my porch to eat, and takes shelter during storms, Leo, was brought to the vet yesterday because he had a very bad wound on his tail, near his hind end.  A shot of medicine, and he is good to go.  I must find him a home.  He is a real snuggler.  I lay down on the floor in my bathroom with him last night and he sank right down into my face for some loving.  But I must let him back out today.  I am hoping to have him neutered on Friday.

Banjo, the dog that I rescued Sunday morning, was brought to a new home for fostering yesterday morning.  It was determined that he is a Newfoundland.  A very very pretty dog.  He will be groomed, supposedly, on Friday, and I can't wait to see what he looks like after that.  I am hoping I will have a picture to show you, if the foster mom produces one. - NOTE:  Banjo is now being brought to Lollipop today.  The new foster mother didn't like him chasing her cats.

The barn cats are settling in nicely since I brought the two - Stanley and Sadie from Parsells - out to the barn in Canandaigua on Sunday.  I missed them when I pulled up today.   And I will find out about Grady, Bully, Sparkles and Talkie and how they are doing at their new home at Lollipop, waiting to go up for adoption. 

Central and Third New Kitty


Its been a really crazy weekend, and I am hoping for a peaceful week.  Wish me luck!  :)

"Life is simple.  Its just not easy."


2 comments:

  1. We immediately thought of you Janine when the news of this dead man on 2rnd broke.......and we always include a prayer for your safety when you feed this colony. It is because what you do is no walk in the park, that myself and others feel compelled to in some way assist you, you risk life and limb for these kittys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine, Have someone interested in the dog. Do you have my email address? Do not want to leave it here....email me at work or home and I will give you the phone #.
    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete