Friday, February 22, 2013

A Girl's Gotta Do What A Girl's Gotta Do

Let me begin by telling you about Third Street.  I pulled up this morning and noticed my stuff had been dissheveled on the porch where I feed Grady and Bully, and several other cats that don't come up until I leave.  I had left a message yesterday to call me before they trashed my stuff (which they didn't) - there was an orange netting around the house with abestos removal sign, the first signal that the house will be torn down.  I knew I had to find some alternative situation, and fast.

Last week, I received an e-mail from a girl who works at Lollypop Farm, our local Humane Society.  She had approached me several months ago to be part of their barn cat program.  Where I would be able to get some kitties that I couldnt' adopt out myself into barns that are Lollipop approved (people call them asking if they have kitties that aren't adoptable that might want to go to barn situations).  Anyway, she became a follower of my blog, and made me an offer that I've had to really think about.  I will let you do the reading - the following are excerpts of what our e-mails contained:

"We've developed the barn cat program a little more here at Lollypop, but after reading your blog I'm not convinced that this is the solution for those cats. I tend to feel like instead of being a mouser outdoors and fighting the cold, they deserve and would probably greatly enjoy a cushy life! How would you feel about bringing some of them in to Lollypop as strays? They would go on a five day stray hold, and in the winter we often have plenty of space. Even if you just brought in one or two at a time, there are never any guarentees but at least they would have a fantastic shot at a great home. Something a lot of people don't understand about Lollypop is that once the animals go up for adoption they don't have a time limit. They will stay up there until they are adopted. We've had cats living in offices here for up to a year, just waiting for the best home! Anyway, something to think about....   You certainly articulate well the plight of these creatures, and motivate me as a reader to want to branch out for a solution... obviously what we're doing currently as an animal rescue community isn't an end all solution!  We will get there! Thanks for being an advocate, and please take care!"


Well, of course at first I was thrilled, but I had a lot of questions!  And here are some of her replies to those...

"Let me just run through some basics on how we decide if a cat is NOT adoptable.  If a cat has a medical condition that we can't fix here, they are generally euthanized. Examples of this would be diabetes, chronic upper respiratory infection or diarrhea (chronic meaning that the problem has lasted over six months and it is hopeless-- usually they go into foster care after this instead of euthanasia).  Most of the time, Lollypop is great about providing extensive veterinary care in these situations. We have animals who have had amputations, leg pins, lungworm, etc. who have been here for months upon months, and they are given all the time they need to get better for adoption.  Another reason animals would go up for adoption would be behavioral issues. If cats are aggressive, or if during their time here they spray all over or go to the bathroom outside the box. This, again, isn't immediate means for euthanasia, rather the cat would probably be admitted into the barn cat program (especially since they have outdoor experience)."

Toward the end of our conversations, she assured me that she would be keeping an eye on the cats I bring in, and would call me if any were deemed unadoptable (I wouldn't be bringing in any that aren't besides), and I could pay a fee to take them back. 


Grady Finally Rescued 2/22/13


Bully Finally Rescued 2/22/13
 Now, keep in mind, Grady and Bully are very nice cats.  I've been trying for a long long time to find them a home, and with my home already being overcrowded, and with the only 'home' they've known for years being torn down, I scooped them up this morning, and they will be going to Lollipop.  For those that don't agree with this, it was not a light decision, once again, for me, but I have confidence that they are going to be adopted out into loving homes very soon.  I believe they won't be euthanized.  They are wonderful cats.  All I knew this morning was that they will face a traumatic situation once the work begins on this house, and I have no where to place their food anymore.  The plastic tote shelters were removed and placed on the adjoining lot.  The boards and bowls were also moved this morning.  I had to do something.  I pray I've made the right decision.  I am going to miss them terribly.

5 comments:

  1. Janine you have my full support in what you did this morning. You know better than all of us just what these cats face each day in that dubious neighbourhood. Your constant search for something better, and permanent for these cats, is never ending for you, you truly are outstanding in your dedication to the homeless kittys . It gives me hope and inspiration, that the little help I myself, offer to these cats, is making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree--this provides another option for you. Is a good thing.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful! Lollypop has great exposure in the community and Grady and Bully will get their pictures on the Lollypop website, which people look at all the time. And it's great that the Lollypop volunteer will keep you updated on what happens with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, you did the right thing by them!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is good Janine. I know how you like to see their forever home and stay in touch with them but this is a great option, esp. with the offer that she'll keep you posted. A much better life than the harsh one on the streets. Wish a few more of those friendly kitties could go into this program. Good job!! Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete