Monday, February 25, 2013

House of the Discarded



I borrowed the title from another blog, but it is quite apropos for my house this morning.  Meet Banjo, who was rescued by me yesterday morning after I found him wrapped up by a thick heavy long chain around a pole that was in front of one of my spots.  He must have been there for hours.  I called 911 immediately, but they once again assured me that no one would be able to get there until after 8 am. when animal services opened up.  But they also told me they would try to send a police officer by, in my hopes that he could do something better than that.  Sure enough, as soon as I moved on to my next spot, after leaving a dish of water for the dog, I saw a flashing light and went back to greet the cop that had arrived.  He was nice, but again told me there was nothing he could do, but promised that animal services would be on the scene as soon as they were able this morning.  Well, after leaving food for him, and going back to finish my rounds, I thought to myself, that dog might go to animal services on Verona Street, and if no one claims him, he will surely be put to sleep.  I thought, he has a better chance at Lollipop, so I am going to swing back by and grab him, take him home and see what happens.  My first thought after thinking about it was that this dog was abandoned there.  From the looks of him, he is a young male, very thin, you can feel his hip bones and ribs very easily.  He was clearly an outside dog only.  Very dirty boy.  He was brushed and loved when he arrived back to my house.  His collar and chain were thrown in the trash.  May he never be chained again.

It was a tough day though, with my dog Thunder, who doesn't like other dogs.  They were separated the entire day, which was no small feat.  Banjo in the basement, and Thunder being reminded all day that he is still our boy.  My friend Sue, who runs Susie Q Pet Rescue in Livonia reached out to me last night after I posted on Facebook that afternoon, who might have a foster for Banjo.  Sure enough, its panned out and he is going to a new home this morning.

I could go on and on with this story, but have to get to the next so that I can begin my work day.  I rescued Stanley and Sadie from Parsells yesterday, and I drove them straightaway to a barn out in Canandaigua.  I met the lovely owner and she had plenty of critters, and was thrilled to get them both.  They will be acclimated in cages this week and then I pray they become accustomed to their new home.  I had to keep telling myself that its better for them than on the city streets, as I often doubt myself and whats best for the cats.  I share pictures of some of the critters that Mary Ann has on her farm, the kitties new playmates! 






And on one final note, I rescued two more kitties to take to Lollipop this morning for adoption.  They are two sweet sweet girls that I have been feeding for years on the streets - Talkie from Garson, and Sparkles from Pennsylvania.  I told them, after I got them settled in their carriers, that they will never have to spend another day on the streets fighting for their lives again.  They were quite calm after that.

So as you can see, I was quite busy this morning.  I really do need a break!

2 comments:

  1. Yipee ! a home in the blue ribbon Canandaidgia region for 2 street kittys !!! unbelievable, what a kind lady, Maryanne is. To get Talkie and Sparkles off the street is so heart warming, I know the street where these two managed to survive, even with their injuries, is one of the most desperate areas where you feed Janine. God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, you were a busy lady! If you went down 332 to Cdga, you went right past my house. I'm so happy for Sparkles and Talkie, and the other kitties, too. I can't believe Banjo is in a foster home already. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete