Monday, February 18, 2013

Morality - Is it Right or Wrong?

At this point in my life I have formed pretty solid opinions on what I feel is good, bad, right and wrong – but in these frigid temperatures, after we received several inches of snow yesterday, after my route in the morning, and with winds whipping the snow, covering the food I had left, and instantly freezing the water I placed, this morning left me with a conflicting opinion on whats right for the homeless cats out there. At a few of my spots, I could hear cats crying from a distance, at one the kitten was crying as it was waiting for me to change the snowy icy towel to a warm soft dry one, and place food and water down, and at a few others I could hear the cries of cats in the distance, the more feral ones that are not using the shelters I’ve provided as its so territorial out there. Even some of the less feral kitties aren’t using the shelters, I don’t think some of them are smart enough. I know they are literally freezing to death out there. I will never forget the red kitty I picked up on Third that was just under the porch of the boarded up house where I’ve placed bales of straw each year, it was as stiff as a board, frozen solid. I’ve rescued many cats where the tips of their ears are rigid, which most of the time would mean frostbite. I thought to myself, all these cats that I’ve TNR’d over the many years I’ve done this. How hard its been for me to release them, but I had no where else to bring them. Except for the shelter, where they would surely be killed. But my problem is again, is it better to release them and allow them to suffer in the brutal conditions that they have to live in, or to end their sad lives in a more humane way. If someone can explain to me the difference there, I would love to hear it. I am the one out there each cold morning every winter, listening to their cries, seeing their footprints in the foot high snow as they’ve tried to make their way to find food and shelter. You tell me whats better.



On another good note, meet Howard. Howard came from Second Street, and every morning, Howard would greet me, and after my feedings, would run back to my car with me. It was heartbreaking to leave him Saturday morning, and he came willingly. He is about 8-9 mos. old and is sweet. I must find him a home.

Another good note. Last week I posted a picture on my e-mail to everyone about an 8 year old dog, a Rottie, that was seized from an elderly woman’s home that needed a new home. Cassidy was adopted Saturday by my good friend Nancy, who just recently lost her dog Riley. I can’t tell you now good it feels to be able to connect people with animals, and all through the internet! As much as I curse the computer, the amount of good it does is amazing. I will get a picture of Cassidy to share.

The next two pictures are of Grady from Third who needs a home. I took them this morning.


 This is of a new big boy hanging around Central.  He needs a home too!



"Remember,. people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions.  You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg."


1 comment:

  1. I don't think they have sad lives, no more sad than the squirrels, skunks, possums and raccoons that also live through our winters... the cold is difficult for them, especially the sick and injured, but temporary, hopefully. I hate to think of them being out there when it's as cold and windy as last night, you can only hope they're cuddled up together somewhere.

    ReplyDelete