Friday, February 8, 2013

In Sickness and In Health


There are many cats out there that are in pretty good health, despite the extremes that they have to endure to stay alive.  Then there are the not so fortunate.  I can remember times where I've seen an injured animal and in one particular instance, it was so sick and disoriented, wandering down a city street, I was able to stop my car, get out and easily grab it, place it in my back seat wrapped in a blanket, and drove straight to animal emergency to have it euthanized.  Other times, I've been able to trap these sick cats, and have humanely ended their suffering. I've picked up many dead cats off the street, even frozen ones, and humanely had them buried.  Then there are the ones that I just cannot get, and can only pray that their suffering will end quick. 

This morning, at my Pennsylvania street shelter, as I placed the food down for the waiting Injured Kitty #2 (I call him that because early last year, he was limping pretty bad, for months, and Laura tried to trap him, but he just wouldn't fall for it - he eventually stopped limping, and I wound up winning his trust after many leary months of trying to get him - he still isn't neutered), and Sparkles who runs to me each morning - I heard a cry and looked over to see an orange cat, one that I've seen before - that is afraid and doesnt' allow me to get too close before he runs off.   Anyway, he wound up inching closer as I placed food and water down, he was hungry, and under the board he came and I shined the flashlight on him, and he is very sick.  I don't know if he is now missing an eye, or that it is so swollen you can't see it.  His breathing was very heavy and congested.   Mr. Injured Kitty #2 is also not looking good.  He is skin and bone.  But sweet enough for me to grab him if I have to.  Although I have no where to take him but to a shelter to end his suffering.   I will try to get this red kitty tomorrow morning by bringing a trap.  With the snow we are supposed to get by then, I am not sure if I will be successful.  My heart was broken when I left there.  I suffer emotionally as much as they are suffering physically. 

A survey conducted by PetSmartCharities found that Americans are not fully aware of the problem of pet homelessness. Only 29 percent of the 3,000 surveyed knew about pet homelessness, and 75 percent guessed there are less than one million homeless pets in America, whereas the real number is closer to eight million. Another survey showed about forty percent believed the number of homeless pets euthanized each year to be less than one million, but the true number is closer to four million. Estimates from the Human Society of the United States, confirm the above numbers.

We as a community need to start to address the lack of awareness around the number of homeless pets in Rochester, and across the world for that matter, and the number of homeless pets that are euthanized each year. While these topics are sad, part of the problem is simply lack of awareness, so getting the information out in the public eye is part of the solution.  And we need to find a solution.  So lets spread the word, lets spread ANY word, even if its just this blog - do your part  - share it with everyone!  Maybe, just maybe, someone can figure this out!

Have a great weekend.

"Base your life on principle and most of your decisions
are already made."


1 comment:

  1. Poor kittys, they are in no way responsible for their condition, very sad to have to deal with this, as you do so much good for the kittys, and keep going......I am constantly made aware from most of the general public that they have no idea of the stats., on these homeless animals, particularly, the cats. I guess because cats are not as visible as the dogs. The awarness of the cats suffering and taking action to change it, is reliant on constant reminding to all, that it exists, and is fixable. Getting the word out, is just as gratifying and important to the cats,as an adoption, donation , foster, ect ect. It is an easy thing to talk about the kittys and I have meet quite a few people by chance, that are interested in helping the cats, that I would not have imagined as being concerned and wanting to help.

    ReplyDelete