Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Good Samaritan ??

I have had a very bad morning.  When I went to feed at my Pennsylvania and Fourth spot, where Sparkles comes running to me, and where an orange cat was seen looking very sickly recently, with one eye either closed or missing, and where Limpy #2 hangs often, as I exposed the inside of the shelter, Limpy #2 came out looking for food, and breathing very labored.  He couldn't take a breath without sneezing, and coughing and very congested.  Also, this cat is a skeleton.  I suspect, after observing him for months now, that he is in his last stage of leukemia.  But as always with every cat that I am concerned about, I am always in a hurry, and think to myself, 'they'll be fine, I will just keep an eye on them'.  Well, this morning, it was almost as if he said to me ' please, take me - help me'. 

I picked him up and without a struggle, he stayed in my arms until I could get him home to a carrier, which I had forgotten to put back in the car since I rescued Daisy Saturday morning.  I knew Limpy was very sick, and I brought him to the Emergency Vet Services on White Spruce Boulevard, where for the second time in a row, turned me away.  They told me they don't take strays.  Now remember, when I get to the point with animals that I am ready to end their suffering, I myself am a mess. To pull the plug - to end someone or something's life is a very difficult thing to do.  I don't make these decisions lightly.  I have too many cats at my own house at this moment, and where am I going with this very very sick cat at 6 in the morning.  I finally called my vet when they opened, and they asked if I could drop him off, as I had to be at work, and the doctor had very limited time this morning.  I gave him a better name too, I named him Ginger.  He deserved that.  I know the girls there will comfort him in his last moments.

They know I would not make a decision like this without knowing it is the best.  I still can't believe that the Emergency Vet did this again.  I know they've done some good for people, like my friend Julie's cat Sushi, who had a gazillions dollar surgery recently, and saved her life, but for people trying to do the right thing to help an animal, to be turned away is cruelty in my opinion.  I was told to put it back on the street.  And if they do decide to help an animal they rape you financially.  We live in a sick world. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh Janine....I'm sorry for you & Ginger; it's a hard thing to do but the poor kitty is no longer suffering. You did the right thing. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our dog was attacked by a family members pit mix last Memorial Day and we were thankful that the Emergency Vet service was available on a holiday in our time of need, and they did save his life, but it cost us over $3,000 for surgery. =( We just knew we had to save his life because it was not his fault that it happened in our own home. Also the surgeon they called in had little bedside manner, which we really needed at the time. I wasn't even sure she liked dogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Janine, are you saying that they no longer have a good samaritan program, to euthanize unowned cats who are dying?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emergency vet service on white spruce blvd., ? They have just drawn attention to their business in a most negative way. I will remember the name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for what you did Janine, but for your action this morning, the poor thing would have suffered even more. It is very sad. I will avoid that vet service and inform every one I can, of how this emergency service vet elected to handle the cat when presented with it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. janine I most certainly am going to check this out with someone who I know works there at Emergency- this is horrifying. I had heard that they have a Good Samaritan Program too, like Laura said, to euthanize injured unowned cats. could they have maybe thought you wanted them to try to treat and save him and they were saying they didn't do that??? this is really upsetting. Carole

    ReplyDelete